Why become a member? ×

Markbass TTE500 vs LMII/III

Musicman20

The TTE doesn't have the VPF,and the EQ is only 3 band. The 'Colour' knob is like the VLE except it has a valve in it. Not really noticed a difference with it though myself.

One thing the TTE does have is that its easily the sexiest looking thing Markbass have ever come out with! I prefer the Little Mark heads due to the versatility, and more convenient size.. But I can't stop gassing....

I've had my LM11 since they came out and bought a TTE a couple of months ago.
I disagree that the head is not versatile in the sense that the sound it produces can be used in most genres. It has more valve character than the LM11, is just as quick, just as loud (if not louder) has a tighter bottom end and is a little less complex in the lower mids giving it a slightly more open sound. It's pretty much impossible to get a harsh "ganky" tone out of it although it doesn't seem to lack frequency response in the high mids.
Perfect for Rock,Blues,Jazz and Funk (it's so old school funky with a P). Punk might be out of reach without a pedal but I may be wrong there.
Having heard other people play mine at a jam night, my first thoughts were that the bass sound seems to envelop rather than attack the ears but every note could be heard clearly. I'm not really a fan of Ampeg valve heads but what I do like about them seems to be present in the TTE without the drawbacks. The tube compressor is great.

In summary ;

LM11 - Warm but fairly detailed, modernish, clean

TTE500 - Warm but detailed, old school but not limiting, mostly clean but can go a little more edgy with the gain cranked.

The LM11 is now just a backup for me.