Why become a member? ×

Antoria P J Maple Fretless (1978)

orangepeelneil

[size=3]Hi everyone,

Up for sale is this Antoria (model : 2367B) P J Maple Fretless (1978).

This has sold a few times on Basschat -have a search around for the title topic for further details.[/size]
[size=3]I bought it about 18 months ago as I'd never owned a fretless and thought I'd give it a go.
It's been good fun, however I'm not really using it so thought I'd sell it on.[/size]
[size=3]It is a real good player and would suit someone wanting to venture into the mysterious world of fretless.[/size]

[size=3][i][u]Specification.[/u][/i]

I understand it is Fujigen Gakki (Japan) made from around 1978.
Body construction is mahogany sandwich, possibly butcher block, with birch front & back veneers.
Maple neck, with handy side mounted lines/dot markers to aid playing.
This one has had a pretty professional J pickup route added.

In my ownership, it has had the following updates :-

- Used Fender Squier P-bass special pickups ( P&J type)
- New alpha mini pots.
- Used scratchplate ,new scratchplate screws.
- Currently strung with old flatwounds.

[i][u]Condition[/u][/i]

-The photos possibly flatter the bass slightly,It's well used (consistent with age) with plenty of dings/scratches and marks ( proper roadworn)
-The neck is worn, through the lacquer in a few places (flatwounds help).
-The intonation is good, low and plays fine in all positions.
-Electrically it's good, and both P and J pickups work fine individually and together.
-Machine heads and bridge work fine.

Comes in an old but fully functional Warwick "ROCKBAG" gigbag.

£150 Collection from Bristol

Cheers Neil[/size]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='orangepeelneil' timestamp='1341865132' post='1725435']

[size=3]It is a real good player and would suit someone wanting to venture into the mysterious world of fretless.[/size]

[/quote]

If you're not familiar with this particular model, have a look at the second photo. The neck has "fret ends" where the frets would be on a fretted bass.

When you're playing, and you glance down at the neck, what you see is "frets" and you feel comfortable with where you are.

A brilliantly simple idea, and a great way to move into playing fretless.

Someone should buy this - it's been annoying me on here for ages now!

I would buy it but for the fact that I've got one already. In fact it's the longest standing bass in my flock, seeing as I bought it new in 1978!

As mine has been through a lot more abuse than this one has, I can confirm that the body is a mahogany butchers block core in two slices - front and back, topped off then with a two layer veneer, the outside layer of which gives the timber that you can see through the 'burst finish.

Mine got a pseudo "Antigua" refinish when I added a DiMarzio J pickup about '81 and then was stripped back to natural much later on in the '80s so it now looks like a kind of poor man's Wal!

Anyway, it's a great sounding and feeling fretless and I'm never selling mine so, if you want one, you'll have to buy this one!

Cheers

Ed

• 2 weeks later...