Why become a member? ×

BBC1 documentary 2235 tonight: Paul Simon's Graceland

cloudburst

How much I like Graceland, "Hearts and Bones" comes really close....
By some (even Simon himself) it is considered as a flop but there isn't a bad song on it and the rythm section with Steve Gadd, Anthony Jackson and Marcus Miller is just great..
It is true that since Graceland Simon hasn't put out anything stunning...(a couple of songs on "You're the one" are nice) but a cd like "Surprise" (with Pino Palladino) didn't move me at all...
His singing hasn't improved either and he seems to have some mental issues imo..when he was a guest on "Jools" they showed some footage of "50 ways" and he refused to watch it and it didn't look like a joke.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1341536234' post='1720745']For me, Graceland is all about the tiny details. When Paul sings "The bomb in the baby carriage was wired to the radio" on the record, he gives it a lovely melody that lifts at the end and really locks in with the sudden drive of the bassline into the chorus. It is a moment of true genius in a small detail that has a huge impact on the song.[/quote]

For me it's the emphasis in 'Graceland' itself that he gives the last T in heartT - "Losing love is like a window in your hearT..." You got it Chris, it's the little things.

CB

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1341554381' post='1720786']
How much I like Graceland, "Hearts and Bones" comes really close....
[/quote]

Yep, I agree.
Some serious Musicians on "Hearts & Bones" and great songs.
Shame it vanished Into nothing.

Graceland is one of my all time fave albums, and the documentary was very Interesting.
Great stuff.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1341536234' post='1720745']
You could argue that Simon has done little of worth since 'Graceland'. 'Rhythm Of The Saints' was hardly incredible, though it had a handful of glorious tunes on it ...
[/quote]

Really? I think that it might actually be a better record than 'Graceland', if you take the political aspect away. 'Graceland' was groundbreaking and politically charged in the context of one country's relations. 'Rhythm of the Saints' didn't have that going for it, and it was always going to sound like a lesser record as a result. That doesn't mean it is a lesser record.

Edited by alyctes