Why become a member? ×

Which amp?

PFC-Andy

My wife gave me a G&L tribute L2500 for my birthday, it's my first bass, hooray.
I have no amplification and know nothing about it.
I have a budget of up to £300.00 max.
Please could you suggest some amps (combo's) in my price range that would cope well with a b string.
I also don't favour a bright sound.
The music I like is jazz, acid jazz, soul , finger funk ( not slapping ) and some blues.
I don't know if the music I like would determine what amp I should buy !!
Thank you in advance

Edited by PFC-Andy

Your style of music can help to choose to a degree, but it's down to personal choice.
There's a lot of combos in your price bracket in the " four sale" section on here.
I would try a few out in a shop if I was you, but the good thing about buying 2nd hand is that if you don't like it, you can sell it at no loss.

Going by your taste, it might be worth trying an Ashdown combo. They're described as " wooley".

What a great first bass, lucky you!!

Now Im not a massive fan of these but I think an Ashdown combo might be up your street from what your saying including the budget you mention. Something from their cheaper range would fit the bill and be good/loud enough for you once you start gigging, they do a variety of amps but the MAG with a 4x10 cab would be a great place to start IMO. If your looking for something smaller for home practice rather than gigs Im sure they do a combo that would suit for that too :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1341346467' post='1717565']
Your style of music can help to choose to a degree, but it's down to personal choice.
There's a lot of combos in your price bracket in the " four sale" section on here.
I would try a few out in a shop if I was you, but the good thing about buying 2nd hand is that if you don't like it, you can sell it at no loss.

Going by your taste, it might be worth trying an Ashdown combo. They're described as " wooley".
[/quote]

Great minds think alike, I started typing ages ago then the phone went :)

Ashdown are definitely not bright sounding amps, so worth checking out. 2nd hand, you`ll get a fair amp for £300. The recommendation for Ampeg is a good one too. Ampeg has a great sound, warm, but still with clarity. Going by the music genres listed, I`d bet Ampeg figured highly in the recordings.

Good point about the music you listen to determining the amp you buy - ideally if those are the sounds you like to listen to, getting an amp that makes them will spur you on no end - nothing like hearing yourself making the sounds you like to gain confidence.

I'd avoid Ashdown, i see they get a fair bit of love on here but I can only assosiate them with muddy and boomy bass sounds
Before I saw the light and was a guitarist everytime I went to a gig and got annoyed that the bass was boomy, unclear and muddy sounding if i looked at what amp the bassist was using without fail it was a Ashdown. From touring rock bands in thousand seater venues to pub bands and church pands using combo's with little or no PA support I can't think Ashdown without think horrible useless bass tone.

just my opinion though

As this is your first bass and first amp and you are only planning on playing at home (presumably gigging is a long way off) it really doesn't matter what you get. I’d look for a 1x10 combo in the Basschat for Sale section. Should be less than £200 and will sound pretty good for the first few years.