Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder repairs

TimHo

I have an old Westone 'Thunder I' that I am repairing/upgrading.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find replacement tuning keys, pots (tone + volume I think they are 250k ohm), knobs, jacksocket and bridge.
Also a pickup upgrade (split single coil) if there is one available?

Cheers for any help,
Tim

The machine heads you can pick up on ebay without any problems - any gotoh style tuners should do the trick. Likwise the pots and jack socket, though you can also try Maplins. The knobs and bridge will be more of a problem. Brass parts were fairly popular in the late 70s and early 80s, but pretty thin on the ground nowadays. You might be better off looking for gold plated repalcements, though you're unlikely to find parts that look identical. Wilkinson does a gold plated bridge with brass saddles, but it doesn't have the two screws at the front that the Westone does. If it covers the screw holes on the body that shouldn't be a problem though.

There wasn't anything wrong with the standard pickups, but if you fancy a change any p types will do. You're only limited by your budget.

[quote name='TimHo' post='184268' date='Apr 24 2008, 07:46 AM'].....Also a pickup upgrade (split single coil) if there is one available?

Cheers for any help,
Tim[/quote]

Very good pick-ups IMO.
If you ever want to sell them, please let me know
Cheers