Why become a member? ×

Jamming nights - South Wales

SpaceChick

Had a look in the gig section but nothing is jumping out at me as being suitable.

Anyone know of any jamming nights/open mike nights in South Wales (anywhere from Swansea to Cardiff).

Also if any basschatters are playing in South Wales, may be nice to get out and about and see some of your bands :P

Ta

The last Tuesday of every month sees a jam session at The Gate, Keppoch Street, Cardiff. (You just missed the last one!) Cafe Jazz in St Mary Street, Cardiff host a monthlyish open mic night. The next one is Wednesday July 11th. Come and say hello if you're there. Me and my mates will be playing Watermelon Man as long as the house trio don't mind gettng off the stage.

Both sessions are jazz-minded, although The Gate sometimes throws in a traditional 12 bar blues just to confuse the drummer.

There's also a jazz jam in Shot in The Dark in Cardiff on the last Sunday of the month.
The best open mic night in the world though is every Thursday at Koko's!
Funk and soul by the bucketload with some jazz, reggae and African music thrown in for good measure.

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1340897970' post='1711260']
There are plenty of open mic nights in Swansea Debs if you fancy going for a look. Can check with a friend for you which are worth checking out? Think these are geared more towards singers but who knows?
[/quote]

Sounds good Deb, was going to see if you fancied the Cardiff ones too :P

The Gower pub in Roath has open Mic Blues night either first or last Thursday in the month - can't quite remember? Google Blues Dragon and it will tell you what you need to know. I've played there a couple of times, everyone is really friendly and you don't even need to bring your guitar, Colin (organiser) sets the stage up with PA guitar, bass and drums!

LC

I fancy the Gower as it's only round the corner from me. A friendly place, good ale and not too crowded.

The Claude open mic can be a bit chaotic and needs to be a practised band to get on. Wouldn't be a simply friendly get together.

Also the Gower has a free function room upstairs, so we could arrange our own evening. I can supply some kit PA if needed drummers & guitarists amps etc. No audience at this unless we invite one.

Arranging our own evening sounds a good idea..... maybe time for a South Wales bass bash :D
As you know the venue, could you get an idea when the function room is free? maybe a weekend would be easier for people to make (unless they have a gig?) Maybe even the daytime on a weekend?
Although I'm fairly flexible :lol:

By the way...we have our first gig this coming Saturday 7 July at the Green Rooms in Treforest. We'll be on at about 8.30 ish I expect and you'd be more than welcome. The Green Rooms is a rehearsal venue but it has a big room with a main stage, lighting rig and sound engineer so we are looking forward to it. Our set includes: Nirvana, Cream, REM, JET, Oasis, Stereophonics, Black Crowes, Black Sabbath, Free, Kings of Leon, Blur, Rolling Stones, CCR, undertones, Steppenwolf, RHCP and the Kinks.

LC (Gary)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1341240140' post='1715571']
Arranging our own evening sounds a good idea..... maybe time for a South Wales bass bash :D
As you know the venue, could you get an idea when the function room is free? maybe a weekend would be easier for people to make (unless they have a gig?) Maybe even the daytime on a weekend?
Although I'm fairly flexible :lol:
[/quote]

Bashing sounds very good, I'll say yes to this. Count me in :D .

Edited by debwilliams

Is it OK to bring spouses to this kind of thing? She's the only one that drives and, to be honest, I don't go anywhere without her.

I'm hoping you'll pick a day when she's working so that I can't make it and won't have to fret about getting out and meeting new people. Assuming I'd be welcome. I'm getting the impression it's for anyone who can make it, or am I rudely inviting myself to a private party?

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1341249686' post='1715773']
By the way...we have our first gig this coming Saturday 7 July at the Green Rooms in Treforest. We'll be on at about 8.30 ish I expect and you'd be more than welcome. The Green Rooms is a rehearsal venue but it has a big room with a main stage, lighting rig and sound engineer so we are looking forward to it. Our set includes: Nirvana, Cream, REM, JET, Oasis, Stereophonics, Black Crowes, Black Sabbath, Free, Kings of Leon, Blur, Rolling Stones, CCR, undertones, Steppenwolf, RHCP and the Kinks.

LC (Gary)
[/quote]

Gutted :( It's my friends birthday meal this weekend. I'd have loved to have come to this.... Particularly if your steppenwolf track is "Born to be Wild"

*Debs tantrums that she can't come*

[quote name='debwilliams' timestamp='1341252013' post='1715835']
Bashing sounds very good, I'll say yes to this. Count me in :D .
[/quote]

OK it sounds like this could be a goer. The Gower only has one room so a full bass bash could be a bit chaotic, but what the heck.

Let me know how many are up for it and I will see if we can get it for a Saturday afternoon and into the evening. Also how would you like it to run.
I.e. do we want (me) to invite other musicians, guitarist, drummer etc. Do we want a vocal PA. Bear in mind it's upstairs for carrying gear.

How many would like to bring their own bass rigs.

I have a Gallien Kreuger Fusion 550 head with 4x10 & 2x10 cabs. GK 400RB 15" combo

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1341256746' post='1715981']
Gutted :( It's my friends birthday meal this weekend. I'd have loved to have come to this.... Particularly if your steppenwolf track is "Born to be Wild"

*Debs tantrums that she can't come*
[/quote]

....and it is! Never mind, you should catch us on the circuit over the coming months! Great bass line in Born to be Wild!

LC