Why become a member? ×

Giving up on rhythm

BassMan94

Hey folks,

So I've been lurking in the waters of music theory and have come to an absolute halt ! It's just when trying to play a bar that consists of many different note values that gets me. I understand and can recognise them if someone asked "what's the value of a crotchet" ? and so on.

Is there anyway I can teach myself the rhythm part ? What techniques would be useful ?

Cheers
Manraj

Start small and work up. Pick two different note values (crotchet and quaver) and practice reading short examples that use just those two.

Something like this might help:

http://readsheetmusic.info/reading_rhythms_exercises.shtml

Then try two different note values (quavers and semiquavers) and then introduce crotchets, quavers and semiquavers in the later stages.

Reading is a really valuable skill, and it can take a while to get to grips with it. The trick is to do a little and often (well, as much as you can, but certainly often).

Hope this helps.

I think a two 'angled' approach is best.

I'm learning how to read sheet ATM, Ed Friedlands Books on the Hal leonard method have me learning rhythm and bass clef simultaneously, which while OK, I find my previous practice system invaluable.

Initially I found triplet / 8th changes between and within measures hard to do, so I started practicing just that type of change based on the advice of my bro (A drummer).
I practiced 1/4 - 1/8 - 1/8T - 1/16 - 1/8T - 1/8 - 1/4 and other combinations... ideally all kinds of mixed up permutations. even just practicing 1/8 - 1/8 triplet changes is beneficial.
I find I can read rhythm much better because I practice it separately. There is no such thing as being too tight. Practicing with a drum machine is good too, and with a live drummer allows 'locking in' to become more natural.

Start slow. I can understand and learn something (for now it's all pretty basic) much faster at 70 bpm, then raise the tempo, than if I started at 120 bpm and had to correct umpteen mistakes as I go along.
Good luck :rolleyes:

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1340873395' post='1710702']
I always recommned a book called 'Encyclopedia or Reading Rhythms', a Musicians Institute publication. It covers rhythm in isolation of notes so you can practice rhythm as a disctinct discipline.
[/quote]

Yes you recommended this book to me a while back (thanks by the way). I have had a lot of success with it. It starts off nice and easy and gradually becomes more challenging.

Edited by davey_one_visits

[quote name='davey_one_visits' timestamp='1340901843' post='1711343']
Yes you recommended this book to me a while back (thanks by the way). I have had a lot of success with it. It starts off nice and easy and gradually becomes more challenging.
[/quote]

I got it on a Bilbo recommendation too (you should be on commission!) and it's good!

Also another tip I got from these forums which is helping me learn is to write out the bar you're stuck on and write the subdivisions underneath, the 1 + 2 + or 1e+e 2e+e etc and line up the notes with the numbers, seems to make a lot more sense to me when I try it like that!

Also, get Standing in the Shadows of Motown. Epic.

[quote name='lobematt' timestamp='1340909470' post='1711474']

I got it on a Bilbo recommendation too (you should be on commission!) and it's good!

Also another tip I got from these forums which is helping me learn is to write out the bar you're stuck on and write the subdivisions underneath, the 1 + 2 + or 1e+e 2e+e etc and line up the notes with the numbers, seems to make a lot more sense to me when I try it like that!

Also, get Standing in the Shadows of Motown. Epic.
[/quote]

+1 for standing the shadows of Motown. Plenty of practise material and a great read.

Not that I've finished working my way through it or anything.. but it is certainly a good challenge and is structured for learning to read different note values

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Reading-Text-For-Instruments/dp/0769233775/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1340920702&sr=8-2

..and read lots of music starting from simple and working your way up! Are you in a band where you need to read music? Or lessons? Previously, I've been in groups where I didn't have to sight read. I joined a big band where i HAD to sight read or get left behind. Big incentive.

Good luck.

jbn4001

Thanks guys for all the advice
what i've managed to acquire is "reading contemporary bass rhytmns" which might be the name of the pdf, not too sure.
Alot of reading and also great practice for recognising pitches on the stave.
Its going to take a while reading perfect but I'll give it a go :)