Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Replacement neck question

megallica

I have an old inexpensive bass that I'm planning on resurecting, the old neck is in an unusuable state so I'd like to find a cheap replacement.
I have measured the neck pocket and it's 60mm but there is a cheap neck on ebay that I'm considering bidding on but it's 64mm wide.
Should I forget about this one and keep looking or buy it and modify the neck/neck pocket to get it to fit.

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1340805229' post='1709849']
That's what I'll probably do but if it's an easy fix I might give it a go.
[/quote]

Keep looking. In all respect and friendliness: if I understand you correctly, the fact that you are not already sure about this, indicates that you don't have the experience or tools. It IS an easy fix, but you want a rig that guarantees that you don't get this half a millimeter wrong.

I believe that the neck is what defines the quality of a bass. It depends what your budget is and indeed what bass it is but if it is a jazz or precision or a stingray type bass, you would be best off buying a new neck from Status Graphite. In my experience it is one of the most superb upgrades you can give to a bass. The cheap Squier I upgraded now sounds incredible and is gorgeous to play. They can be bought online for about £300.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1340930412' post='1711781']
60mm seems small, likely to get something between 62-64mm much easier, and you can scrape them down easy enough.
[/quote]

That's what I've found - most replacement necks seem to be between 62-64mm.

Would you recommend sanding down the new neck or extending the neck pocket to fit?

[quote name='Bass-Thing' timestamp='1340889694' post='1711096']
I believe that the neck is what defines the quality of a bass. It depends what your budget is and indeed what bass it is but if it is a jazz or precision or a stingray type bass, you would be best off buying a new neck from Status Graphite. In my experience it is one of the most superb upgrades you can give to a bass. The cheap Squier I upgraded now sounds incredible and is gorgeous to play. They can be bought online for about £300.
[/quote]

I'm really only looking at using this bass for a backup and possibly a de-fret job somewhere down the line. That's why I'm looking for cheap second hand necks.

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1340964716' post='1712055']
Would you recommend sanding down the new neck or extending the neck pocket to fit?
[/quote]

Depends which is cheaper. But the neck tends to be easier to mark up, and scrape accurately, but is made of harder stuff.

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1340964909' post='1712062']
I'm really only looking at using this bass for a backup and possibly a de-fret job somewhere down the line. That's why I'm looking for cheap second hand necks.
[/quote]

CH Guitars on Ebay do very cheap very good quality brand new necks for about £50

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1341219876' post='1715174']
I did see these but was a bit wary about them, have you used one of these before?
[/quote]

Not the necks but I've found the other parts they do to be excellent. I would have thought at those sort of prices they were worth a punt. There is also the ebay seller The Stratosfear who do genuine Fender necks varying in price from a few hundred downwards. They too are very good quality and sometimes you can bid for a bargain, though most of the stuff is 'buy it now'. I think they just dismantle used seconds.