Why become a member? ×

Buying amps from Europe scam

was he from Spain by any chance? was offered something i was after in the "wanted" section,it was worded in a really generis way with no actual reference to what i was after,was going to contact the mods but the message has been removed so assuming the mods are on it?

He was from Spain, new member on here and he deleted the message so i can't report him. I've asked him to take pictures of the amp with his email written on a piece of paper in clear view next to or on the amp. If he responds with this then i'll keep his email address private, if not then i'll post it on here

That`ll be Mazur or gear12?
He`s emailing everyone with a wanted ad :)

"[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Hope you are doing fine..I am Mazur from Spain..are you still interested,Let me know..email me at [/size][/font][email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]or send me your email address and i will email you more details and pictures thanks and hope to hear from you"[/size][/font]

Con artist

Edited by Monckyman

[quote name='davidlovellbass' timestamp='1340618308' post='1706930']
He was from Spain, new member on here and he deleted the message so i can't report him. I've asked him to take pictures of the amp with his email written on a piece of paper in clear view next to or on the amp. If he responds with this then i'll keep his email address private, if not then i'll post it on here
[/quote]

Avoid.

If it smells... don't step on it.

It happens from time to time. I actually fell for something like that once, buying a cheap squier jazz bass. Something made me wonder and I looked online and discovered an ad at some other site where the pics had been lifted from.
I oepened a trhead about it and found two others who had fallen for it (different items). Fortunately the guy was an idiot and it was easy to get our money back. Paypal refunded me and another guy, but would not refund a third person who had paid using the "gift" option. However we managed to pressure the scammer into paying him (under veiled threats, I guess we sounded convincing enough and he paid up).

You can't stop them, they will be around, always. Just keep an eye on things. If someone is new, he is probably genuine, but it's worth doing a couple of extra checks. Google images is surprisingly effective as scammers tend to be lazy and do not go far beyond the first few hits. Check the activity of the would be seller. Does he post at all? Check who browsed his profile... is he only checked by people with "wanted" ads?
If so, tread carefully.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1340647695' post='1707584']
Paypal refunded me and another guy, but would not refund a third person who had paid using the "gift" option.
[/quote]

Which is why you should only use the Gift or Personal Payment Owed options if you know and trust the other guy. People moan about the 4% Paypal fees but it is, amongst other thing, an insurance fee for when things go wrong (and yes they do pay up occasionally).

C