Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Iceni Zoot Custom Chaser - with ACG preamp. SOLD

Bass Culture

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]For Sale:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The First [/font][/color][color=red][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Zoot[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Chaser. Hand-made by Mike Walsh (Iceni Music), and now with upgraded hardware and preamp.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bought a little under a couple of years back and sold now with heavy heart and much gnashing of teeth. However, as I'm currently band-less and I've recently had my ACG custom delivered, it's got to be 'one in, one out'.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]When I bought this it was still fitted out with its original chrome hardware (always thought chrome a bit boring) and East preamp. However, after plugging it in and immediately falling in love with its tone (originally accurately described as '[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]apes the Stingray sound, but is both punchier and more refined'), I decided it could use a bit of TLC and tarting up. Its original bridge only facilitated through-body stringing (which I'm neither here nor there about really) so I contacted Mike East who had one of his units, unfinished, still in stock., which I sent off to a metal platers in Brum who replated the base in black for me and the string saddles in gold. A new set of Gotoh tuners in black were added and I swapped out the Gotoh bar-type string retainer for a Hipshot one in gold, maintaining the 'stealth with style look'.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I had an ACG filter-based pre-amp installed and added a low battery indicator too, work done by our very own Steve Soar. We decided to put in a phase reversal switch at the same time. The results were jaw dropping, in that kind of 'involuntary silly grin'-way you get when something's just right. It still retains its fundamental 'punchier and more refined Stingray'-quality but now offers an incredible range of further tones courtesy of the ACG preamp. And when you switch it into parallel mode, watch out! When I was deciding on the upgrades I had in mind a 'one stop shop' bass; the one bass you could take to any gig that would cover a multitude of different genres. I think this comes pretty close now:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Specs as follows:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Body[/b]: 2 piece Maple cap over 3 piece Ash back with Purpleheart accent stripe[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Neck[/b]: Bolt-on 1 Piece Hard Maple Neck with 24 fret Rosewood fretboard. Truss-rod adjustment at headstock end.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Neck width[/b]: 41mm approx at nut; 58mm approx at 12th fret; shallow 'D' profile - very comfortable and fast (even for guys with smaller hands like myself)[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]String spacing[/b]: 20mm approx[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Pickup[/b]: 1 x Seymour Duncan Basslines Musicman-style Humbucker in a mid position; series/parallel switching[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Preamp[/b]: ACG EQ02 filter-based preamp with passive tone. 18v power[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Controls[/b]: Master volume (pull up for series, down for parallel switching), Passive tone, 1 x low pass filter; 1 x high pass filter. Low Battery indicator[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Bridge[/b]: Proprietary Iceni music designed bridge. Specially re-plated with black base and gold saddles; Top load and string through.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Tuners[/b]: Gotoh black machine heads.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Gotoh gold strap buttons (with black felt pads).[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The (satin) varnish has a small impact mark on the upper edge of the top horn, which is too small to photograph and has been there from new apparently.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]No hard case but I will include a Warwick gig bag and it can be sent in a box from Thomann I've still got which offers decent protection in transit. Tracked delivery to mainland: £10.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Condition is very good to excellent. Currently strung with La Bella Super Steps, Extra Light Gauge: 40-95. I am also including all the original chrome hardware - 4 x Gotoh tuners; 5 x Gotoh-style control knobs, heavy duty Iceni Zoot bridge and 1 x Gotoh string retainer (bar type).[/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"][b]SOLD[/b][/color][/font]

And, of course, anyone who wishes to is very welcome to come over and give it a blast. I would post sound files too but, to be honest, this technology stuff is passing me by and I’ve no idea how to. The spirit’s willing but the ‘smarts’ are weak, I’m afraid.

Note: I've just found the original preamp in the loft too, and will include this in the sale. It is untested, so please be aware of that, but was working fine when it was swapped out.

Edited by Bass Culture

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1340531145' post='1705586']
Lovely...any trades??
[/quote]
Not really looking for trades. That said, offer away, there could be something out there that floats my boat. I think it would have to be pretty special though as the Zoot itself is. :)

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1340653244' post='1707688']
Absolutely awesome. You'll love the ACG, but I doubt you'll ever forget this beauty. As a former Zoot and ACG owner, I approve!
[/quote]

Ha ha - thanks, Chris, and nice to hear from you. Yes, I thought longs and hard before offering this. I think I feel more attached to it after doing all the mods on it. But, sadly, I just don't think it's going to get any playing time once the ACG arrives, especially with me being band-less at the moment. Still, if it does go it's my loss and someone else's gain; if it doesn't, well, it won't break my heart to take it out every once in a while and put it through its paces.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1340710248' post='1708329']
The only thing I am noticing is that there is a lot of unwound string at the bridge end, which brand are they?
[/quote]

La Bella Super Steps, Chris. Piano string design a la Rotosound Contact Cores - obviously (!). Never really noticed that there was that much core over the bridge before. You don't notice it playing at all either, and I tend to pluck pretty near the bridge too. Nice strings actually. Tried them on a whim and I've stuck with them on a couple of basses for about a year now.

To interested punters, I have got a recent set of Roto swing bass RS 66LB I can swap them out for if desired - 35-90.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1340754053' post='1709313']
Well I am sad to say I have neither the cash or aught to trade for this right now as I find it captivating!
[/quote]
As ever, Chris - a man of impeccable taste and critical facility!

This is a bass that's looking for love, who just needs the right soul mate to share their life with. So what are you waiting for, gentlemen, ladies? Come on, somewhere out there's got a Zoot-shaped hole that needs filling, I know it. The first step is admitting it to yourself. Then the healing can commence!...type BUMP

[size=4]Having just had the 'Zoot shaped hole in my life' filled when I bought Marks other Zoot, I can wholeheartedly recommend one of these basses to anyone!
Whoever's fortunate enough to buy this bass certainly won't regret it!. [/size]
[size=4]Oh; and Mark's a top bloke too. :) [/size]

Edited by Gazza 2905

[quote name='Gazza 2905' timestamp='1341162066' post='1714532']
[size=4]Having just had the 'Zoot shaped hole in my life' filled when I bought Marks other Zoot, I can wholeheartedly recommend one of these basses to anyone!
Whoever's fortunate enough to buy this bass certainly won't regret it!. [/size]
[size=4]Oh; and Mark's a top bloke too. :) [/size]
[/quote]
Thanks, Gary. Glad to hear to you are enjoying the fretless too - I knew you wouldn't be disappointed!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1341775645' post='1723985']
I know that I shouldn't have had another look......Aaaah..GAS!!!
[/quote]

Go on, Mick, make me an offer - I can only say 'no'. And who knows, with my ACG arriving in the next day or so I might even say 'yes'!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='big rob' timestamp='1342829631' post='1741780']
Where abouts are you? The bass looks cool always liked the shape.
[/quote]

Sorry, BR, didn't see your reply until this morning. I'm in sunny Chester. Probably a couple of hours up the M40/M6 from your neck of the woods. You're very welcome to pop up and put it through its paces if you like. Tea and biscuits gratis!