Why become a member? ×

Cheap but decent 6 string?

Murph_Orpheus

Yeah see I'm in Ireland and most of the music shops here dont even deal in 6 string basses so I cant try them out :) the Spector Legend 6 string looks sweet but its in around 800 quid. Actually does anyone know of anywhere outside the US that sells the 6 string versions online? I can only seem to find the 4 and 5 versions.

Edited by Murph_Orpheus

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='183314' date='Apr 22 2008, 11:02 PM']What a load of tarts. He wants advice, and all you can do is try sell him your own 6-strings.

Tut tut.

Best thing to do is try em. And if that fails, I might be persuaded to part with my old Washburnn XB60 :)[/quote]

Yeah we were a bit naughty eh!!

Apologies! - I can understand how difficult it must be not being able to try any 6ers. How frustrating!!! I'm not really sure what to suggest, I guess what ever you do, it will be a case of having to purchase online to try out and hope the return policy isn't too heavy on the walllet.

[quote name='dood' post='183329' date='Apr 22 2008, 11:13 PM']Yeah we were a bit naughty eh!!

Apologies! - I can understand how difficult it must be not being able to try any 6ers. How frustrating!!! I'm not really sure what to suggest, I guess what ever you do, it will be a case of having to purchase online to try out and hope the return policy isn't too heavy on the walllet.[/quote]
On a serious note. Trying out by buying is fine, but much more cost-effective if going for 'previously Owned'. I get the old GAS like most, but I really try to buy Used, so if it doesn't work out, then I can move things on at more or less what I paid. Not only Used but also Top Brand. I have had some really nice old basses etc. that after a year or two I have sold for practically no difference. It's like having really cheap rental deals.

[quote name='dood' post='183302' date='Apr 22 2008, 10:50 PM']I really liked the Spector 6 string basses that used to be available through SoundControl. I'm not sure what the model was, but as a budget bass, they ticked lots of boxes.[/quote]

I tried a few of their 5s in Sound Control - the cheap ones. Were the Euro models or something? Can't remember the name either but they played well and sounded very good.

+1 on the spector front Dood. their legend series basses are awesome and only around £400 (i nearly got one but got fed up with waiting when i saw my bass sitting in a window :)). So if you if it floats your boat, buy it in the confidence that its an excellent bass. it WILL do everything you ask of it. The peavey basses are all good too.

my advice is buy secondhand if you cant try it out. Doods Tobias is a quality bass and he seems to be selling it at a superb price. Specially with the EMG upgrade, so it will sound good.

Hope this helps!

Ibanez BTB555MP. If you haggle you could get one for £380.
Bartolini MK1's
35" scale
Monorail bridge
3-band parametric eq
Moderate weight
Should be easily available.

The best 6-string under £1K I have ever played.

Liked it so much I bought one, even though I have owned £2K+ Ken Smiths, Warwicks etc. Needs a tapered B, then it sounds wicked, especially on the neck pickup.