Why become a member? ×

GK Neo v MBE

Blartfactor10

So! Anyone enlighten me on the difference between the Neo and the MBE cabs????? According to most sites ( Thoman Gak GK) both the 2x12 and 4x10 use Neodymium speakers so why would we paying more for the Neo cabs????? 2 light 4x10s @ 8 ohm sound like my kind of thing but would a 4 ohm Neo out-perform 2 8 ohm MBEs???? I'm using a GK 1001l l and playing Upright................. confused or what?

They are the same speakers in both ranges of cabs, as far as I understand it. the difference is in the size, quality and construction of the cabs. There are multiple stories around of MBE cabs suffering awful boom problems and also bits of hardware breaking or falling off them. Also cab buzzes and rattles in the MBE cabs seem to be too common also.
The neo range also have much nicer, higher cost, tweeters and also adjustable tweeter control.
My experience with my Neo 212 has been all good and I have heard/read very few (if any) horror stories about them.

THe cabinet is just as (if not even more) important than the speakers in a bass cab. The MBE range are OK, but are very much built down to a price. THey are what they are. If you played them side by side (which I haven't) I would suspect that you would instantly choose the Neo range.

The spec on GKs website doesn`t show much difference, aside from the Neo being 16 lbs heavier, so I would think the construction and material is what makes the main difference here. As hamfist says above, and especially on Talkbass, there are a few threads about boominess on the MBE range, with some people stating they`ve added their own internal bracing/damping to eliminate this. If on a budget, MBE and sort your own bracing/damping, if not, it would seem the Neo is the finished article.

Thanks for the input/advice guys, maybe you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear but I'm already playing the game of diminishing returns because I'm putting an upright bass through the amp and cabs.......what goes in.......comes out..... so i'm thinking ok its an arm and a leg but ok the Neo's would out shine the MBE's or has anyone got a better suggestion to find cabs that would match a GK 101II head for double bass?

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1340328933' post='1702998']
They are the same speakers in both ranges of cabs, as far as I understand it. the difference is in the size, quality and construction of the cabs. There are multiple stories around of MBE cabs suffering awful boom problems and also bits of hardware breaking or falling off them. Also cab buzzes and rattles in the MBE cabs seem to be too common also.
The neo range also have much nicer, higher cost, tweeters and also adjustable tweeter control.
My experience with my Neo 212 has been all good and I have heard/read very few (if any) horror stories about them.

THe cabinet is just as (if not even more) important than the speakers in a bass cab. The MBE range are OK, but are very much built down to a price. THey are what they are. If you played them side by side (which I haven't) I would suspect that you would instantly choose the Neo range.
[/quote]

How you finding the 2x12?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1340663087' post='1707928']
How you finding the 2x12?
[/quote]

Sorry for the late response Musicman, only just spotted this !

At the moment I can only give a partial response, as I've only actually gigged it once so far .... and that was in probably the worst room, acoustically, that I have played in, in 30 years gigging.
For someone wanting a modern(ish) tone, with plenty of upper mid presence and decent bass response, it's a cracker. For warm, vintage tones, I'd probably look elsewhere.
One thing I do find it excels at (at lowish volume only so far) is giving distortions and overdrives a nice cut and presence without being harsh on the ear at all. With many cabs it's difficult to find a balance between the two.
Overall I'm very pleased with it, but for me, yet to be fully proved at volume in various venues.

In fact I have been so impressed, that I've sold my Genz 8x10. The GK neo's weight was a big factor, but I really didn't think I was losing out in tone either by limiting myself to the GK.