Why become a member? ×

Ampeg B15 N, NC, T, R, X,... help?

MrFingers

Amp-heroes,

I'm in the market for a Ampeg B15 "Portaflex", a dream lustring for quite a long time. So I was thinking: "yeah, I'll pick up a B15 on the 'bay, it will be fine", but I've read that one B15 isn't the other. From what I've found on the Interwebz is that there are a lot of versions... Can anyone talk me through that, and hint me what should be bought/avoided. I'm looking for a vintage amp (the older, the better), with a thick, Motown sound, but also reliable. Volume isn't an issue, we don't play that loud (Guitarist used a Marshall Class 5 and a Fender Pro Jr.)

What I've found:

[b]B15N: [/b]The "classic" 25W Ampeg B15, as used by Motown/Stax
[b]B15NC: [/b]B15N, but with a solid-state rectifier
[b]B15R:[/b] The nineties reissue, switchable from 100 to 60W, more a V4B in a portaflex coat
[b]B15S:[/b] B15N, beefed up to 60W
[b]B15T: [/b]Transistor version
[b]B15X:[/b] 50W tube, with vibrato.

I think the best thing would be a B15N or S... That would be my guess.

I´m playing a B15S since mid 90s with no problem ever. Good enough for small gigs and rehearsals if the band isn´t too loud. It´s insanly great for recording, though.
A friend had a similar B15S as well as a later Reissue model and sold the reissue since it couldn´t compete soundwise. He said that mostly the speaker was the problem. Original CTS 15" are really hard to come by so there was no option to swap.
If you need it a bit louder have a look into Fender Bassman 100 or 135 tops.

Thanks for the replies!

@Steve: Will try that, on his site, I mainly see B15N's, so I guess that is the way to go
@jensen: Funny you came up with the 135, just sold a silverface 135 with the matching 412 cab, because it's too loud (we play some sort of americana music, with ac. guitar, reed organ, small drums and bass). Already found some here on the local ads, some B15N's, and a B15R (just the head, no cab).

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1341668686' post='1722533']
Love it.
[/quote][quote name='Musky' timestamp='1341669744' post='1722544']
Niiiiiiice! :)
[/quote][quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1341671101' post='1722566']
Extra sexy!

Truckstop
[/quote]

+1

Nice - mine is a 1964 B15NA - there is a subtle difference to the B15N, but I can't remember what it is!

I've got a load of soundclips of various vintage basses played through it if anyone is interested

[url="http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/ampeg/amplifier/B15N.php"]http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/ampeg/amplifier/B15N.php[/url] (be patient, all those clips take a minute to load)

Fantastic amp all round!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...