Why become a member? ×

Getting to grips with a big muff...

tombomb

So been playing just over a year. Starting to get to grips with it a bit, but fancied a new project.
Decided to try to build myself a pedal.

Found a board design here:
[url="http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_bmp_pcb.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a"]http://www.generalgu...68044a841b3e85a[/url]

I work in a school so spoke to our DT technician and he found some old boards.

Stage 1:
Cleaned the boards up a bit with some emery and transferred the circuit onto them using an iron.
Plan tomorrow is to put them into the acid, etch the circuit and drill the holes.
Here's what I've done so far...

[attachment=110831:copied circuit.JPG]

They need a couple of gaps filling in. I'll do that tomorrow.

Any tips for a first time pedal builder?
I've not sourced a box,jack sockets or pots yet.
Hoping to get resistors, caps etc from my science technician...

Nice, you can't go wrong with a big muff. The choice of diodes (two per set of clipping diodes) make a big difference to the sound. effectively you can 'tune' the fuzz sound by swapping out diodes - Germanium will give a lovely, organic softer sort of sound and silicons will melt your face. Which kind of Silicon diode depends on you, but they're cheap as chips and it's a lot of fun trying them out.

Cheapest place I've found for enclosures, pots etc... is Dr Tweek

http://www.doctortweek.co.uk/shop/catalog/browse?shop_param=ecid%3D5%26

He's got loads of stuff on there.

Edited by paul_5

I play blusey rock mostly, by face melting do you mean like crazy fuzz?

Ovs I won't get it from this but I'm in a Mel Shacher phase at the mo.
His tone (and ability) are something for me to properly aspire to.

His sound apparently came from killing the tubes in his West.

I can't bear to go in Maplins. But am worried I might have to for this. I'll check dr tweak first.
Every single time I go in to Maplins I know more about the stuff than the staff who (the ones I've met at least) seem to be a string short of a set.

Glad you like the topic title, i was sososososo tempted by "nice home-grown muff project"...

Oooh, where's Discreet when you need him?
[quote name='tombomb' timestamp='1340059691' post='1698642']
I can't bear to go in Maplins. But am worried I might have to for this. I'll check dr tweak first.
Every single time I go in to Maplins I know more about the stuff than the staff who (the ones I've met at least) seem to be a string short of a set.
[/quote]

Sad but true. :(

Progress!
Couple of pics for you:
1 - Halfway through etching, you can still see some copper left in the top left corner.
2 - 3 down, only one muff left to rub off.... (I'll get my coat)

[attachment=110909:Halfway through etching.JPG]
[attachment=110910:Rubbing out.JPG]

Now to give some money to Mr Tweek....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sure.
One of them was crap and I'm gonna build two so pm me an i'll send you the other one.
Quality not amazing but it does the job.

All the components now on the board, everything attached apart from the footswitch (I ordered the wrong one)

Pics to follow and hopefully the finished article tomorrow!

• 3 weeks later...

So when i said tomorrow...
Footswitch didn't come and I then went on holiday for two weeks. Sorry for the delay umph the spare board is in the post

Much to the dismay of the missus one of the first things I did upon getting back was get out the soldering iron...

I got everything soldered and in place, and it was working but only with all the knobs up full, if I turned any of them down the volume just went with no discernable change in tone.

Cue mass checking and un-soldering, only to realise that the three terminals on the tone pot were being shorted against the case. Oops.
Cue mass re-soldering...

Reflection on the build:
1 - I would use a bigger box if I were to do it again
2 - I need a better soldering iron, my £10 job with a massive chisel point nib just isn't good enough.
3 - Work on a real table - a few hours cross legged on the sofa working on the coffee table is condusive to lower back pain.
4 - It has been a very rewarding process learning lots of new skills; acid etching, accurate drilling and soldering. The smile and smug sense of self satisfaction when it works (IT ACTUALLY WORKS) is pretty immense.
5 - I like the tone but for a bit more beef put the signal through a behringer samsamp clone.

Any thoughts on what I should build next?

Here are some pics.
1 - My painted box...
2 - Internals showing component side of board
3 - Same but soldering side (very shoddy workmanship)
4 - Happy me with my new working muff.

[attachment=115824:painted box.jpg]
[attachment=115825:inside over.jpg]
[attachment=115826:inside under.jpg]
[attachment=115827:smile.jpg]