Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

buying a new neck for a p bass

mr carpet

Hello
I would like to draw on the wealth of experience of you lot to gather some insight and information.
I have knackerd my neck , as apposed to any aesthetic prefference , functionality and it sounding nice is my only reel concern.
I have a Squire P bass that cost me 70 pound second hand and to a degree I have used this to become familier with the art of building / rebuilding a bass.
unfurtunetely for me, I believe I have screwed its neck right up by attemtpting to de-fret it then attemtping to refret it and trying to figure out what happens within the mysterious compartments where the truss rod once lived (ive knacked that too)
so anyway , now all the frets arnt level and I have to shim the neck at a angle and set the bridge up pretty high.
so you get the picture , I have basically been opening the curtains and trying to *%$%^% the sky :)

this is how you could help me-
I would like to know your opinions on these 100 pound mighty mite necks
your opinions on those 50 pound necks from ch guitars
your opinions on necks , why ones better than another .
any other options or other makes that i put on my Squier body.

Iv have read rewiews and scowerd the internet ,. but I find them all so arbittory like those descriptions of music they used to be on the back of dusty jazz albums.
If all it comes down to is how well the frets are filed on the end , I reckon I can do that myself ,or I should learn.
I appriecate any ones help .
many thanks , Mr Carpet , onion farmer.

Edited by mr carpet

Mighty Mite P necks are very good and are great value for money. Allparts necks are second only to Fender - some think they are as good as Fender, if not better. But they are expensive. The £50 CH Guitar necks I have no experience with whatsoever, but I'm quite sure someone will be along soon to tell you all about them. :)

Edit: Various P necks appear in the Basschat for sale threads quite regularly and could be the way to go.

Edited by discreet

Allparts are excellent but up to £300 new. Mighty mite necks are excellent and only £100 on the bay. CH necks are cheap as chips and passable (mine had a wonky fretboard sanded more on one side than the other) but be prepared to cut the nut yourself because they don't come pre cut (at least not properly). I've bought all 3 and the best for value is the Mighty Mite.

This is the guy I bought my MM neck from [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/bluebass320/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=&_trksid=p3686[/url]

Edited by gjones

cheers guys , thats usefull info , Good bit of insight.
i hadnt conciderd the possability of a wonky fretboard.
I had been concidering the squier one for sale on here ,which is probable perfect for me but having allready ruined a squeir i fancy somthing diffrent .
Im just going to buy some tat of ebay to keep me going for the while as I as useual I have less desposeable income than I had imagined .
I think Ile head for getting one of these mighty mite necks in the future , sounds like about as good as I deserve or can justifiye.

I apprieciate the help.