Why become a member? ×

Mounting Micro Amps on Pedalboards

AsterL

Hey guys

Just wanted to throw an idea at you.
With all of these mid powered micro amps out right now (Eden WTX's, Markbass LittleMark, etc etc), has anyone had the idea to mount the amp onto a pedalboard? This is what I'm doing at the moment, and I see a couple benefits of it.

- With all your pedals and cables in box/board, its easy to keep track of your gear, and easier to move.
- If you run and effects loop with your amp like I do, there can be a ton less cables running around the stage as the amp is litterally 2 inches away from the pedals.
- Less signal loss from not having miles of cables
- If you use a wireless with your set up, You can have only one cable running across the stage, which would be a speaker cable.
- Changing setting on the amp mid song if needed can be as simple and quick as changing a setting on a pedal.

The only con I can think of is that if the amp has a DI out on it, and is being used as the primary DI for the night for bass, It wont be where the soundman expects it, but this can be easily remedied with a extra XLR cable.

I'd like to know your thoughts on this, Does anyone else do this or have thought about doing it with your microamp?
Have you encountered any problems?

I would take a picture of my set up, but I am part way through changing it. Hopefully can post a picture of it when its all done!

I had to do this with a larger wireless reciever. I had loads of adhesive velcro, so i made 2 double sided (Rough on one and soft on the other) giant velcro ties (about 1ft long in this case) and strapped them round the reciever, with some more shorter ones acting as a bridge between the 2 longer ones, so they stayed where i'd put them. It worked pretty well, though i'd use more than 2 for mounting an amp, providing you still get full access to controls and the like.

Liam

Ant from Castrovalva, also Ant on here has his Pearce BC-1 preamp on his pedal board, which makes more sense since that is where his sound is from and means he has the right preamp for his work and just has to stick it into what ever amp is on stage, through the power in or effects return slot.

[quote name='Jesso' timestamp='1340027906' post='1697837']
The only issue is access to your amp controls I suppose....
[/quote]

I dont seem to get any trouble with this. If you design the board before hand to allow for space to get to the controls, things should be fine!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1340893548' post='1711157']
i mount my preamp and i love it, makes setup loads quicker and everything looks cooler.

dunno if i would put a whole amp on, i was only interested in having all of my tone making equipment in one place
[/quote]

I'd imagine cooling could be a concern... IF you were to block a side vent :shok:
Also spillages would be a greater risk, vs. the 12V DC power on a typical pedal board... AFAIK.

I'd say it's very doable, if you don't need the rack - type system!

[quote name='AsterL' timestamp='1339969353' post='1697124']
- Less signal loss from not having miles of cables
- If you use a wireless with your set up, You can have only one cable running across the stage, which would be a speaker cable.
[/quote]
Better make it a good thick speaker cable for a long run!