Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn

paulie

I have decided to sell me Alleva Coppolo bass.

Its a special model that Jimmy made for Clapton's bass player Willie Weeks. You can see the word "Prototype stamped on the neck plate. Its essentially a jazz bass but with precision body and a slightly slimmer precision neck.

As far as I know it was made by Jimmy in NYC before he moved to LA, it was also made before he began using CNC machines.

The fingerboard is dark brazilian rosewood with a lovely vintage tint gloss finish on the back.

Colour is a candy apple green with matching headstock, brown/reddish tort scratchplate.

Pickups and preamp are Alleva Coppolo.

Frets are the thinner pre CBS style.

The bass has the famous AC nitro finish which was applied by a guy who worked for Jimmy but had previously worked for Fender back in the day. He sprays a very thin layer of nitro on the finish so that the wood can breathe or something like that.

Prototype is stamped on the neck plate as this was the first of the signature models for Weeks, a second was never made so this is a complete one off.

As the finish is nitro there is a little wear and tear on the body, normal playing wear.
The only blemish is a small crack on the finish on the e side near the neck pocket.

The bass weighs about 9lbs

Neck is perfect, no issues at all with electronics etc

Comes with a Status hardcase

This bass is not only extremely rare but its an absolute cracker. Definately the nicest AC I have ever owned or played (Ive owned 3 and played about 4 others) They were all nice but this tops the pile in terms of the feel of the neck, sound and weight, balance. Once you pick it up and start to play it you understand why Alleva Coppolo's generate a lot of hype and command high prices.

Will consider trading for Sadowsky, Fodera, Zon, Lakland,

Thanks

Edited by paulie

Half the good ones anyway,

Yes its true Clarky owned this puppy a few years back and as any of you who have dealt with him will know all of his instruments are gems

This really is a cracking bass but I have a new zon and cant justify having this also

Just to mention that this bass comes with an email from Jimmy Coppolo stating that the bass was the property of Mr Willie Weeks etc.

I just cant guarantee any of you guys will sound as good as him if you buy it!

I bought this over from the States. Previously owned by Ryan Owens the bass player with the Robbie Seay band in Texas.

There used to be some great vids of him playing this bass on Song of Hope but I'm not sure they're still available.

A definite one of a kind as Jimmy's not made another P body J pickup configuration since this one.

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1340085667' post='1698766']
and you barrie have owned the other half of basses clarky hasnt had TIME To own.... :-p
[/quote]

Actually there's quite a few that both of us have owned :)

In fact I still have one of his now. . .

I've always loved this bass - does it have a standard P or J width nut (or something different altogether)?

Great price for an AC with these specs (the DN board and nitro finish are very expensive options!) - good luck

Edited by lozbass

I think the neck with at the nut is just a little shy of the normal P bass 1.75 but I have never actually measured it.
It definately feels more comfy than a P bass.
The neck profile is also different. The neck profile is a little flatter than a standard P and as a result feels like a pre CBS precision.

Here it is in action :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwlJl7xT-zI&list=UUFUogPx8lBAjPldSmeSmI_w&index=2&feature=plcp

This is actually my least favourite of three songs recorded for this session but the other two don't seem to be online any more :(

Bit more history on this as well.

It was made for NAMM 2009 and was designated as a "Jeff Andrews" prototype model. He's a pretty cool jazz player I think.

From what I remember it was originally planned to be a different signature model and says something to this effect either in the neck pocket or on the neck heel - something like "formerly the late xxxx model" but I can't remember the name of the player. I assumed it was someone who'd passed away before the bass was finished but this is purely my speculation.

It also confirms that it was finished in nitro. However it doesn't say for certain it's the, ultra rare, Dalbergia Negra fingerboard so I can't be 100% sure about this.

Thanks for all the info

Yes I recall something about it being originally brought out for Jeff Andrews who played precision basses with jazz pickups and with the three precision control knobs and two fender ones. So Jimmy pretty much copied that style of modified Fender that Andrews was using.
It was then decided to give the bass to Willie Weeks who liked it and was a friend of Jimmy Coppolo.
Weeks used it a little when on tour with Clapton.
They planned to launch it as a Willie Weeks model and it was up on the old Alleva Coppolo website as a signature model but the idea never materialised.

I dont know what the fingerboard is. Its certainly some form of dark brazillian rosewood.