Why become a member? ×

PLI - anyone ever claimed on it?

spinynorman

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1339781587' post='1694369']
I sometimes wonder what I'm paying for.
[/quote]

The one and only time in the future, when some drunk falls over your gear, hurts or kills themselves, and immediately blames you for their stupidity. :angry:
Case in point:- Friends of mine were playing in a Club - Pisshead knocks the Lighting Stand over, hurts three people in the audience. PLI paid out thousands and thousands of pounds-my friends paid £20 extra on their Premium the next year. ;)

If you work in music, it's a necessity. As BigAlonBass says, if someone trips over your gear, or knocks something over you'll need to claim. One thing that got my band through our agency was that the band needs it, but my instrument insurance covers all the musicians that I'm currently on stage with. Bonus! I do tell them not to do anything stupid!

Dan

It really depends on the type of venues you play.

If you're doing wedding\function type stuff then the venue will nearly always insist you have PLI to indemnify them against any claims made by injured parties.

If you're mostly playing down the 'Dog and Souffle' then it's perhaps not so important - unless something goes wrong.

We get ours through Zurich for about £200 a year - peanuts in the big scheme of things.

That was something else I wondered about. The drummer and I have PLI on our instrument insurance, I don't think the guitarist has insurance at all and I'm sure the singer doesn't. So if someone collapses a lighting or speaker stand, all of which the band owns co-operatively and several people have hand in setting up, whose insurance pays?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1339850435' post='1695370']
If a drunk falls into something it must surely be the drunk's fault, so I'd be looking to sue him.

If someone crashes into your car they don't claim on your insurance do they?
[/quote]

You'd think so. But presumably there would be some arguments about whether the rig was set up properly and whether it should have fallen over, or been put somewhere a drunk could trip over it. And lawyers are expensive.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1339849289' post='1695348']
That was something else I wondered about. The drummer and I have PLI on our instrument insurance, I don't think the guitarist has insurance at all and I'm sure the singer doesn't. So if someone collapses a lighting or speaker stand, all of which the band owns co-operatively and several people have hand in setting up, whose insurance pays?
[/quote]

As I said in my post, my band is covered as long as I'm on stage with them. And thats part of my PLI on my instrument insurance. Go through the small print and see if the other 2 are covered. Usually it's who ever you are on stage with is covered under your PLI as part of your instrument cover. If anything happens though, you'll have to make the claim through your PLI.

Dan

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1339851837' post='1695408']
You'd think so. But presumably there would be some arguments about whether the rig was set up properly and whether it should have fallen over, or been put somewhere a drunk could trip over it. And lawyers are expensive.
[/quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean, but when a drunk falls over a kerb and breaks his nose, he can't really sue the council for not having black/yellow warning marks along the kerb can he?

The world's going mad.