Why become a member? ×

62 RI Precision Neck Dilemma

pobrien_ie

Hi all,

I've been working on an 62 p bass assembly project for a while now and am looking for some advice on the neck.

My options are:

1) A used Jap 62 RI neck from an ebay shop. It's from 1991 and looks to be in pretty good shape.

2) An allparts vintage neck. It seems to be identical spec to the above, but at half the price. Although licensed by Fender, this would be the only non-Fender part of the whole assembly. Although I hope to keep the bass forever, my past form tells me that I won't, so quality is important.

I realise both necks do not have the 1.75 inch nut, but sourcing such a rosewood findgerboard neck with this size nut width looks to be way out of my budget. I haven't really skimped on prices for parts up until now, but with a weak Euro and the high customs charges in Ireland the assembly is fast becoming economically unviable.

Does anybody have any experience of using either or both of these necks? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Paddy

I've got a jap maple fret board neck on one of project basses and it is totally superb equally as good as my two USA P basses.

I also have an Allparts neck, that I have just attached to my latest project, this one is rosewood f/b. Nothing wrong with it at all, frets all level, truss rod works, I did have to do a spot of filing to the nut but that's not exactly an issue. It is good but not the same quality as the jap one, although I can't tell you exactly why not :unsure: .

The allparts neck is 42mm at the nut with a 9.5" radius (medium frets), and has a thicker C-shape. The "real" 62RI neck (vintage, CIJ and AVRI) is 44.5mm at the nut with a 7.25" radius (narrow vintage frets), and has a bit more shallow C-shape (I guess they are 0.10" apart in depth), so it's not just the nutwidth that's different...

I have a neck from musikraft, they make the 1.75" nutwidth necks, with correct radius and stuff, and for a more than decent price (cheaper than warmoth), and it is truly vintage correct... You can read more on it [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/176706-64ri-precision-bass-build/"]here[/url].

Hi Paddy, ain't you got that finished yet? :o To me it wouldn't be a '62 with anything less than a 1 & 3/4 neck. All the Jap ones I've seen have been 1.625" but I don't know about the 90's ones. Stick out for a proper AV job IMO, they are so good ;)

ATB,
John

Edit: As Mr Fingers has pointed out, it's the 7.25" radius & the Vintage Frets which all combine to give it the right feel, size & shape. The Musikraft neck looks pretty close from the pics I've seen.

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1339492995' post='1689105']
Are you certain the '91 isn't 1.75" wide? My 1990 MIJ '62 RI has a 1.75" nut - did Fender change it that year?
[/quote]

All the Jap necks I've seen were 42mm at the nut, but I must look into that. Thanks

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1339493061' post='1689108']
I've got a jap maple fret board neck on one of project basses and it is totally superb equally as good as my two USA P basses.

I also have an Allparts neck, that I have just attached to my latest project, this one is rosewood f/b. Nothing wrong with it at all, frets all level, truss rod works, I did have to do a spot of filing to the nut but that's not exactly an issue. It is good but not the same quality as the jap one, although I can't tell you exactly why not :unsure: .
[/quote]

I know what you mean..it's that little difference you can't quite put your finger on! Thanks for the feedback.

[quote name='MrFingers' timestamp='1339493381' post='1689119']
The allparts neck is 42mm at the nut with a 9.5" radius (medium frets), and has a thicker C-shape. The "real" 62RI neck (vintage, CIJ and AVRI) is 44.5mm at the nut with a 7.25" radius (narrow vintage frets), and has a bit more shallow C-shape (I guess they are 0.10" apart in depth), so it's not just the nutwidth that's different...

I have a neck from musikraft, they make the 1.75" nutwidth necks, with correct radius and stuff, and for a more than decent price (cheaper than warmoth), and it is truly vintage correct... You can read more on it [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/176706-64ri-precision-bass-build/"]here[/url].
[/quote]

Yeah I know I was being a bit simplistic about the neck dimensions, but I am a bit simple when it comes to these kinds of things :blush:. Thanks for the musikraft tip-off. I must check them out.

Your thread is great by the way. My "project" is purely just assembly though. I can use a screwdriver and that's about it :blush: All parts were bought and the wiring was expertly done by John aka KiOgan.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1339493442' post='1689121']
Hi Paddy, ain't you got that finished yet? :o To me it wouldn't be a '62 with anything less than a 1 & 3/4 neck. All the Jap ones I've seen have been 1.5" but I don't know about the 90's ones. Stick out for a proper AV job IMO, they are so good ;)

ATB,
John

Edit: As Mr Fingers has pointed out, it's the 7.25" radius & the Vintage Frets which all combine to give it the right feel, size & shape. The Musikraft neck looks pretty close from the pics I've seen.
[/quote]

Hi John. A couple of minor hiccups (mostly lack of time on my part), but all is back on track! The bass really sounds great and nails the sound I had in my head. I've a MIM jazz neck on the bass in the meantime, but not liking it at all!

I know you're right about getting the 1.75 neck, and I know I'd regret not doing it, so I'll shop around a bit more. The japs I've been looking at seem to be 1.625 (the standard p bass size I think). My 57 has a 1.75 neck and I really love the feel of it. As above, the jazz neck, while nice and fast, just isn't doing it for me. Real men need a 1.75!!! :ph34r:

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1339494998' post='1689161']
Hi John. A couple of minor hiccups (mostly lack of time on my part), but all is back on track! The bass really sounds great and nails the sound I had in my head. I've a MIM jazz neck on the bass in the meantime, but not liking it at all!

I know you're right about getting the 1.75 neck, and I know I'd regret not doing it, so I'll shop around a bit more. The japs I've been looking at seem to be 1.625 (the standard p bass size I think). My 57 has a 1.75 neck and I really love the feel of it. As above, the jazz neck, while nice and fast, just isn't doing it for me. Real men need a 1.75!!! :ph34r:
[/quote]
Yes I've edited my mistake I meant 1.625". I've recently got a old Highway One P-bass which measures 1.65" at the nut & the feel is very close to the AV's but still 1/10" down.

ATB, John

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1339505574' post='1689415']
Just measured the nut on my '90 MIJ '62 RI with a ruler - it seems to be a gnat's todger over 44mm - which I think equates to about 1.75". No idea of the radius, but front to back it seems shallower then my other basses & has narrow vintage fretwire.
[/quote]

Thanks for that! I musn't have done my homework properly on this one. It's funny how 2mm can mean so much!!

I'm now looking at either the MIJ or Musikraft. The Musikraft necks seem to have a huge amount of options, such as period-correct dimensions, clay dots etc, which as already said will really help it be accurate. Decisions, decisions.....

Oh yeah, 'gnatt's todger'..classic :lol:

Just to briefly resurrect this....does anybody else out there have experience or knowledge of the MIJ Precision 62 RI? I've read in lots of forums that the nut width is 42mm. Jean-Luc Pickguard (just got that by the way :lol:) has measured his and it's 44mm / 1.75 inches at the nut. I know there are a few different levels of the PB62, so perhaps this would lead to the alleged different sizes. However, all the new ones appear to be 42mm on Japanese sites, so perhaps they changed it at some time.

Any MIJ experts out there??

I'm leaning towards the Musikraft at the moment due to the sheer breadth of options available, but cost could be a factor and the MIJ might just come in that little bit cheaper.

[quote name='MrFingers' timestamp='1339610092' post='1691501']
I thought the "domestic" CIJ/MIJ has the correct 44.5mm and the "export" has the 42.5 mm.
[/quote]

Interesting <_< That would seem to make sense, i.e. that the Japanese export model would not compete directly with the American Vintage series.

[quote name='el borracho' timestamp='1339623187' post='1691788']
Just measured my 94 MIJ 62RI which is also 1.75".
[/quote]

Thanks for that el borracho. I'm waiting on the ebay parts seller to get back to me on the MIJ neck they have. Probably could have done that before I started this thread :blush:!! At least I now know about Musikraft and have gotten some great advice from all the above posters.