Why become a member? ×

boss oc-2 / oc-3 tracking

Fionn

The OC-3, being digital and polyphonic, is pretty damn spot on - that's why I've kept it out of all the different octavers I've had, even the Aguilar Octamizer.

The OC-2 doesn't track as well, nothing below open A really, and it's monophonic. That said it stills tracks reasonably and is a big favourite amongst bass players for its dubby, signature sound. Great pedal. The OC-2 mode on the OC-3 does a good impersonation too.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1339368067' post='1687663']
OC2 is analogue and tracks not that well, but the glitch is good. OC3 is good at tracking as digital, but sound isn't as interesting.
[/quote]

+1

it depends if you like he glitch! i do but i was more than happy with the oc-3 and it does alot more if you feel you want that.

andy

I have only used an OC2, and agree with the comments about them. Although to overcome the slighty dodgy tracking with my MM Ray I play higher up the neck which really helps. I have also read that you can use a compressor before to help iron out potential problems. My effects loop has an Ashdown dual band compressor first and it helps a bit.

Much the same, I love my OC-2's but they do glitch....which I love. That said I often get notes tracking lower than A, around F# etc, but thats only for quick notes, don't expect the pedal to hold the tracking that low. I've also found that it tracks a little better when the signal going in is rounder/bassier, so I often play notes higher up the neck on the E or A strings, instead of lower down the neck on the D & G strings.

Si

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1339433956' post='1688413']
So, I take it the OC-3 tracks a low E ok then? ... I won't be going any lower than that.
[/quote]

Your 150 Watt 1x12 can produce an E below low E?
Wow :D

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1339442072' post='1688605']
Your 150 Watt 1x12 can produce an E below low E?
Wow :D

Si
[/quote]

No. I play a 4 string bass ... I won't be going to low B.

An Octave pedal does just that, plays an Octave (or 2) below, I'm not meaning to sound patronising at all here btw.
If you expect to play a low E and get a clean octave lower, you're kidding yourself. If you only mean you want to play a 'mid' E (7th fret A string etc), then you're fine, produces a real nice low E octave :)

Hope this helps in some way, the OC-2's really are great pedals, very musical effect, unlike others that may not glitch like they do, but don't quite sit in the mix as nice for me
Si

That's cool, thanks. It's more for recording purposes to be honest. I'm producing some (home made) dub at the mo'. I'd prefer the sub bass to come from my bass guitar and not a synth. I hadn't counted on trying to play it live through my microbass ... but yeah, you're right.

My opinion on dub is that it's about the EQ of the note as opposed to the octave, it's not all low octaves, far from it. Just all super round and boosted low end.
I think you'll get great results with an OC-2, Oct 1 all up, Oct 2 all down, Direct signal all down. Playing around the 7th fret position (gets a low B & low E), maybe place EQ after it, boosting around 50-60hz, or lower....30hz :D

Si