Why become a member? ×

Super 'Choral' effects

Johnthedreamer

Hello everyone

My name is John - prompted by having a chat with Lee Pomeroy after being at the Holmfirth gig of Steve Hacketts recent tour - I decided to dust off my bass , buy an amp , new strings and play around a bit ... hell I have even got GCSE music to actually learn how to read music .... like Mum and Dad wished 40 years ago !

Any way have always loved the really epic sound created in such tracks as Los Endos Suppers ready Firth of Fifth - and indeed the instrumental parts of Hacketts own Everyday . I get the feeling that the main 'Choral' sound derives from the keyboard end , or from taurus pedals ( a bit beyond my budget ) ...... Is there a nice inexpensive way of creating such a fantastic aural delight for a Bass ??? If so which device and how much ????

Believe me I am years away from being even half way competent - but would love to play with some noises and just enjoy myself !

The picture is Alex - my eight year old son - being somewhat weighed down by my venerable Washburn Chicago !

JOHN age 51

Leeds

[attachment=110046:032.JPG]

Hi John,

Welcome to BC!
As to your question, I quickly checked Los Endos (can check more later this evening if needed). Do you mean "choral sound" as in the sound that really is like a choir?
In case, this is almost 100.00% Tony Banks' Mellotron keyboard. I think this sound is virtually impossible to emulate no matter how many effects you use. Among other technical causes, it's sooo dependant on being played i chords. The small irregularities in the recordings, and their playback, are structural to this sound.
But even if it's played one tone at a time, I have trouble seeing how you could emulate without the bass triggering MIDI devices. Other people's mileage my of course vary.

However, there is some light: there's a Mellotron app, for Apple devices at least, which does a wonderful job of sounding like a Mellotron.

Enjoy the site!

Edited by BassTractor