Why become a member? ×

Is it possible to wire in a second battery to my pre amp but have a switch in it to bypass it back to 9v?

Hey guys

Bit of a weird one but let me explain...

On my Tobias I have the pre amp running 9v at the moment but when you go over 50% volume from the bass, it starts really distorting like an old school marshall/hiwatt would do. Now, I love the fact it does this for certain songs (any metallica songs my band covers or for when the guitarists go off on dual harmonies, I set my bass to full volume and have it running overdriven under the guitars). Only thing is though, I like being able to use my bass at half volume to start with then be able to boost it but still keep a clean tone when the time calls for it. Say for instance I was doing some sort of bass intro or bass break in the middle, I would like to be able to boost my bass volume without it overdriving/distorting so what I was thinking of doing was adding a 2nd battery in to add more headroom to the pre amp but I would like to be able to bypass the 2nd battery when the time comes. Any one out there know what I mean? Probably not, I confuse myself to be fair haha.

Basically, I want to add a 2nd battery but be able to bypass it and switch my bass back to 9v at times. Would this work? Is it possible? How the hell do I do it? Haaaaaaalp?

Cheers!

LukeFRC - It's definitely the pre amp. I contacted the guy who made them and he explained that happened when they weren't run in 18v of power. If it still overdrives badly when I've attached a second battery and I lose more head room then i'll be in contact with him again but yeah, that's what he said so i'll go with it until I find differently.

Bremen - I'll try out a second battery to see if it does change the point of distortion first then fully decide on what to do. Is it easy enough to add a SPDT switch in to the circuitry? Annoying thing is, I know i'm going to have to drill another hole in my bass :(

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' timestamp='1339284252' post='1686484']
Annoying thing is, I know i'm going to have to drill another hole in my bass :(
[/quote]
If you can get the value of the Vol control, you could replace it with one that has a "pull" function, thus avoiding a hole.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1339320877' post='1686688']
Was it this?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/35505-advantages-of-an-18v-pre-amp/"]http://basschat.co.u...an-18v-pre-amp/[/url]
[/quote]

That's the one. :)
Some good science going on there, rather than the usual made up guff that gets repeated over and over.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1339342440' post='1687090']....Some good science going on there, rather than the usual made up guff that gets repeated over and over.
[/quote]
Except for the stuff about being killed by 9v batteries, presumably?