Why become a member? ×

Stageclix Jack Wireless... hiss?

chrismuzz

[quote]
Hello Chris,

When the noise level stays the same with and without transmitter powered on, it is the remaining noise of the digital circuitery and/or power supply noise.
Power supply noise can come from various sources. Especially with bass amplifiers this can be the interaction between the power supply amp en the effects chain.

There will be a residue of the stageclix inernal circuitry noise but this should be close to nothing.

When you know anyone with a stageclix system, you could try swapping the receivers. Then it is important to have the same version ofcourse.
This way you can verify if the behaviour of your receiver is ‘normal’.

After this, you can check your wiring. Does it make a difference where you put your cable and does the noise change when the setup changes? I had a case once where it would actualle make a difference when the bass player was facing the amp, because of the interference coming from the amp.

Let me know your thougths.

Best regards,
[/quote]

Phew, that was a mission!

So um.. Anybody got a Stageclix Jack version II that isn't noisy? :lol:

[quote name='2x18' timestamp='1339325798' post='1686751']
I have had my Stageclix for a couple of years now and used it on many different basses!

It doesnt like some Active basses but is fine with others. --My GL L2000 buzzed badly with it, but my Fender active Jazz and my Landing L1 EMG active were fine.

Never had any problems with passive at all!

Will.
[/quote]

The buzz with the GL L2000 is almost certainly because the active electronics are not 100% screened (and you can't really blame the luthier for this as he didn't plan for a transmitter to be a mil away from his electronics. The answer is to use the extension cable and pouch with this model, which moves the transmitter away from the noise source.

Tony Reeves
MTR Ltd

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1340441914' post='1704427']
Phew, that was a mission!

So um.. Anybody got a Stageclix Jack version II that isn't noisy? :lol:
[/quote]

Chris - this is Tony Reeves from MTR Ltd, the distributors of stageClix.

There is absolutely no way that you should be getting the hiss that you describe. You are either using it wrongly - which I very much doubt - or there is a fault. I am surprised that you have not been back to dealer from whom you bought it.

However, please send just the transmitter and receiver (no need for the rest of the kit) back to me at MTR, very carefully packed, address on the website: [url="http://www.mtraudio.com"]www.mtraudio.com[/url] I'll check it out, and if I find the same thing I'll send you replacements.

Best,

Tony Reeves

[quote name='basstony' timestamp='1340477160' post='1705111']

Chris - this is Tony Reeves from MTR Ltd, the distributors of stageClix.

There is absolutely no way that you should be getting the hiss that you describe. You are either using it wrongly - which I very much doubt - or there is a fault. I am surprised that you have not been back to dealer from whom you bought it.

However, please send just the transmitter and receiver (no need for the rest of the kit) back to me at MTR, very carefully packed, address on the website: [url="http://www.mtraudio.com"]www.mtraudio.com[/url] I'll check it out, and if I find the same thing I'll send you replacements.

Best,

Tony Reeves
[/quote]

Hey Tony, that's really cool of you thanks. I didn't go back to the dealer as I wanted to speak to somebody from the company first instead. They have been quite helpful in all fairness and I have managed to reduce the problem significantly. Also because it took me well over a month to receive this one, I didn't fancy my chances of getting a replacement any time soon!

I'll send it on to you in the next few days so you can have a look at it anyways, cheers!

Hey Chris,

Gutted for you having this bother :( As the original poster of the review that I did on this excellent system (and you then following my recommendation) it's disappointing to see you have not got the same satisfaction that I have from my Stageclix Jack :( which up to last nights gig is still performing brilliantly for me :blush:

I've actually just posted on my original thread to see if you recieved yours then found this thread :unsure:

I hope you get sorted, because for me, this has been a brilliant piece of kit and I'd love you to feel the same way B)

I hope the guys at Stageclix will get it sorted to your satisfaction B)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1340376408' post='1703699']

Shep, didn't you say using a True Bypass pedal right after the Stageclix causes loud popping sounds? That might be what's happening to John. Sounds like he's having even more hiss than me though! If you say yours is quieter than a cable then I must have a duff one too!
[/quote]

Yes - as I use the wireless to connected to the pedal board rather than the amp I have experienced a 'pop' with my TC Polytune and Polytune mini. I can't swear it's all True Bypass pedals as I only tried with these so there is a chance it could be an incompatibility with the TC mechanism... Though I doubt that.

In fairness I almost always have a buffered pedal 1st and last in my signal chain anyway (I find they iron out many problems with noise and popping within the chain... TB is more trouble than it's worth IMO!) so I always run the tuner after a buffered pedal anyway.

Still the best wireless system I have owned.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1340487940' post='1705280']
They seem to be trying their best to, same goes for Tony Reeves up there!

Cheers
[/quote]

Top bass player Mr Reeves - very possibly the first live bass player I ever saw!

He was the only person in the band not sitting down - the rest of the band consisted of two keyboard players & the drummer. He managed to fill the 'vertical' role very well & was really inspiring to watch :)

Okay so I just did a little test

Guitar - StageClix - 5 watt tube combo.

Turned off wifi

With nothing plugged into the amp, volume on full - very faint almost inaudable background hiss that you would expect from a cranked valve amp

turn on the receiver, plug into the amp input (transmitter is off) - noise increases significantly

Transmitter turned on (tried both not plugged into a guitar, and plugged into guitar with volume all the way down) - Noise increases again.

Now to test my 10 foot cable. guitar volume all the way down, plugged into amp input - no extra noise whatsoever than when the amp is idle with nothing in the input.

Thoughts Tony?

thanks

John

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1340535235' post='1705648']
Top bass player Mr Reeves - very possibly the first live bass player I ever saw!

He was the only person in the band not sitting down - the rest of the band consisted of two keyboard players & the drummer. He managed to fill the 'vertical' role very well & was really inspiring to watch :)
[/quote]

I think he might have been the bassist at the first gig I ever went to as well!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1340571796' post='1706480']
Dave Greenslade's solo tour promoting the Cactus Choir album. I can't remember whether or not Tony Reeves played bass on the tour (he's on about half the tracks on the album), hence the "might".
[/quote]

Mine was Greenslade, Bedside Manners Tour :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all - a bit of a mystery this one - both units have been check ed and silent and work perfectly, I have only had small issues with players suing these near wireless network hubs, but again only a couple and issue was very slight. I have been using a pan system for 18 months all over the UK in venues and not had one problem. I am sorry the OP has had this issue but it would seem to be a rarity and not the norm,

Regards

Mark

Just to add to this, I have massively reduced the amount of noise I get with mine thanks to some help from various people. Some of the problem was that other parts of my setup were creating noise and it was coming through much clearer through the wireless than a cable. I also tried mine on an outdoor gig and noticed hardly any noise at all, definitely useable!