Why become a member? ×

Snagged myself an old EB0

Rimskidog

I'd previously posted this down in the recording section in my studio build thread but thought people might appreciate a look here. I was wandering along Denmark St when I saw this in the window begging to be taken home. Well, who am I to refuse...

[IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g28/Rimskidog/16ba288a.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1339109198' post='1684017']
Has this been defretted? Or is it my eyes? And an added J pickup, randomly :)
[/quote]

Good eyes. It has been defretted and there is a [i]very[/i] random J pickup. I'm a player rather than a collector so I dont care too much about the mods though I'm thinking of replacing the J with a seymour duncan smb-4d to add a little growl to the bottom end of the stock PU. Thoughts?

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1339162484' post='1684655']
I wouldn't say that J pup is all that random. A lot of effort has gone in to making the pole pieces line up perfectly. Good job I'd say.
How does the G string on the J pup sound though?
[/quote]

I'd agree. They should have used a neck pickup from a Jazz though as the pole pieces would be slightly closer together and it wouldn't have had to be positioned at such an extreme angle. Also if it was me I'd have wanted it angled the other way with the G string poles closest to the neck. Still nice bass though!

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1339162484' post='1684655']
I wouldn't say that J pup is all that random. A lot of effort has gone in to making the pole pieces line up perfectly. Good job I'd say.
How does the G string on the J pup sound though?
[/quote]

The J pickup generally sounds pretty thin and reedy. It's got to go.

Look beautiful.
I'd replace this J with a lipstick pickup*. It'd look killer and give a hint of twang to this vintage princess.

[size=2]*But you have to know I'd replace a J pickup with lipstick in every bass except from Fender Jazz Bass maybe. :P[/size]

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1339168111' post='1684799']
Look beautiful.
I'd replace this J with a lipstick pickup*. It'd look killer and give a hint of twang to this vintage princess.

[size=2]*But you have to know I'd replace a J pickup with lipstick in every bass except from Fender Jazz Bass maybe. :P[/size]
[/quote]

I'd go with that - looks class .

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1339168111' post='1684799'] Look beautiful. I'd replace this J with a lipstick pickup*. It'd look killer and give a hint of twang to this vintage princess. [size=2]*But you have to know I'd replace a J pickup with lipstick in every bass except from Fender Jazz Bass maybe. :P[/size] [/quote]

Yeah I can see how that would look cool but I'm not sure it'd give me the kind of tone I want out of this (unless someone can tell me of one that has a good midrange growl?)

[quote name='Rimskidog' timestamp='1339181916' post='1685119']
Yeah I can see how that would look cool but I'm not sure it'd give me the kind of tone I want out of this (unless someone can tell me of one that has a good midrange growl?)
[/quote]

IIRC they are quite weak. I'm not sure it is what you would want.

Lipstick, form what I've heard (literally and not literally :P) has the warm 'twang', like the Telecaster.
I got a nice midrange growl out of Seymour Duncan SCPB-3 set on ~10% of the scale length, a bit angled as the string spacing was narrow, about 17mm. It turned out being awesome for slap :]

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1339186126' post='1685207']
Is there not someone doing lipsticks that are a straight swap for a Jazz?
[/quote]
Yup,[url="http://www.tonebender.net/kent-armstrong-lipstick-jazz-bass-pickup-bridge-free-ship-p-58.html"] Kent Armstrong[/url].

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1339186126' post='1685207']
Is there not someone doing lipsticks that are a straight swap for a Jazz?

EDIT:
found it

[url="http://www.wdmusic.com/JBLR_1.html"]http://www.wdmusic.com/JBLR_1.html[/url]
[/quote]

I stand corrected. :)

Thanks guys. I know it looks way prettier but I still think I'm going with the seymour duncan smb-4d. I'm not sure anything else will give me that growl. I may even route it so I can plug each pickup into a different channel (a la Billy Sheehan)