Why become a member? ×

Lakland 55-01, opinions, (used) prices etc

such

I've never been much into Lakland basses, but I found myself attracted to the 55-01 lately. I wouldn't buy one right now, but maybe later this year, or whenever. Do they live up to the hype? I mean the quality and clarity of the B string mostly.

Yep, believe it all.

I had never heard of Lakland before getting my 55-01. I was in the bass center looking for a higher end 5 string and they had about 7-8 55-01's in there. I played every one and couldn't find any issues with any of them. All were set up perfectly (for me), none had any fret or buzzing issues etc. I was very impressed. I had a good budget that day but walked away with a 55-01, one of the cheapest 5 string basses in the shop.
This was the first real 5 string i had ever owned and the neck was so comfy i went out and did two gigs that weekend (2 days to get used to it).

The tone, as stock, can be improved but a lot of people dont bother. I found i could get almost any tone i wanted from it but did upgrade the pre amp to a slightly better one. I didnt find it made much difference though. The only reason i got rid of mine was i went back to 4 string so didnt need the 55-01 any more.
I've been hooked on Laklands ever since, until i ran out of money.

I tend to agree. I spent most of a day in the Bass Gallery playing virtually every 5 string in there. I did have a budget to stick to but was so very impressed with the Laklands I tried that I really wouldn't have walked out of there with a much more expensive bass even if I could have afforded it. I think I preferred the 55/02 so very slightly over the 55/01, and the difference between the 55/94 and the 55/02 was similarly small.

I still reckon the 55/01 has to be just about the most value for money / bang for buck 5 string out there. The [u]only [/u]other bass I tried that had a 'better' sounding B string was a Dingwall - but I don't get on with them.

Agree with Dave on this one... I better since i owned his 55-01 after him! Great basses at any money - bury everything under a grand (and a lot more - having owned 2 MM 5's i'd put the lakland above them both).

Had to go to a Dingwall to get better... £400 should get you one.

Edited by Bigwan