Why become a member? ×

marshall.........

thunderider

im thinking bout buying superbass 100 but my concern is would it drive my 118 cab with out farting out at top end,as in previous thread i have a 100 power amp that not up to the job,idont want to spent heap big money and be left with a kewl looking door stop!!..im just working on the fact theres enough to drive a 412 & 415 stack...(lemmys) im tending to shy away from anything less than 150w then theres the fact its valve so more powerful than solidstate....or what id a good cheap amp,as my spec is no slider eqs or loads of buttons like my laney dp150,all i want is vol,bass,treble,middle..basic powerful amp.....no graphics!!

A 100watt valve Marshall amp should be enough for most places. I certainly think the fact that Lemmy has all those speakers going is another reason for the volume though. More speakers, more air being pushed. Whether or not that would be the case with a single 118 I don`t know.

Don't forget that in the 60s / 70s that was all we had, 100w valve head and 2, 4x12s and that did any venue with no PA support. 2000 seater, well stander actually, no problem. I've owned a few super bass 100s and they are great but they do only have the one sound but what a sound and if it's the sound that you're after then you're on a winner.

I had both Superbass and Superlead models (both 81 built within two months of one another). I used the superlead with channels linked into two 15 inch JBL cabs ..no farting ! My Thunderbird sang and..I now have digital hearing aids ! Seriously get some good ear plugs.
Have fun.

Your substation 18 is a sub - I wouldn't have thought it should be producing any top end. It can handle way more than your amp is capable of knocking out, so if it's 'farting out' with some unwanted high end noises it suggests that there's something wrong with it.

It may well be worth your while to check for any damage to the cone, loose dust cap, check that the cables aren't fouling the back of the cone (or anything else that may have lodged between the cone and basket) and look for any small metal objects that have attached themselves to the magnet. It's worth checking for loose battens or control plates as well, and while you're at it tighten the bolts for the speaker.

• 1 month later...