Why become a member? ×

Letts fretless 5

giblett123

Saw the offer.... neck thru 5er for £300? (a promotional deal to raise their profile) so I had to take a punt, be rude not to!

Spec:
5 string fretless neck through.
Mahogany body with Zebrano top,
Mahogany/Wenge laminated neck,
Lined black Ebony fingerboard,
mm humbucker (passive i think),
Hipshot ultralite tuners,
Wooden tailpiece and saddle bridge system.

Edited by giblett123

Hope so, the pics look really nice, they are interesting shapes etc so at that price I reckon its worth a dabble, I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out & I'll keep the diary updated with progress, when it lands if anyone wants to pop over and play it they are more than welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1339414374' post='1688011']
Mahogany/wenge would be a seriously interesting wood combo - am really interested in knowing what it sounds like
[/quote]

My '83 fretless Wal is mahogany body with wenge top and back. Pete Stevens advised strongly against the combination at the time I ordered it. He thought the tone would be far too pushy in the mid-range (Pete favoured walnut facings on fretless). But hey, I was young and knew best back then, so went ahead anyway. I just loved the look of wenge (still do) and a Wal that's "too pushy in the mid-range" just didn't make sense for me - surely that's (partly) what the Wal tone is all about, especially on a fretless. Anyway, I never regretted the choice. Mine is about the most Wal sounding Wal I've ever heard. Even Pete I think came around to liking my bass.

When I took the Wal up to Paul Herman for its 25 year service a couple of years ago he thought it must have been converted from fretted 'cause, "Pete would never have built a wenge/mahogany fretless".

Phil

Interesting story, thanks for that. There's going to be more of a difference given the wood is being used in the neck also. I'd expect there to be lots of mids also, which will be perfect for fretless. I'd be interested to see how much treble response there is though with the ebony fingerboard.

No. As I said, it was nice but it was too delicate looking.

I send these to Jon...

This is what I was hoping for, but not an exact copy.

If that's what you want, then that's cool. I was just hoping for something unique. I am sure I can think of something else. :)

Edited by jaydentaku