Why become a member? ×

how to identify make of my DB??

leftyhook

So I have finally acquired a pre-loved acoustic upright which was presented to me by someone who received it from a late uncle. They know nothing about the make etc.

All parts working, body marked but intact...

Can't seem to find any reference to the make...all I can see inside the 'F' hole is a sticker saying "MADE IN HUNGARY"

How can I identify anything else about it?

help!

Thanks

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1337633390' post='1663308']
If you don't come up with any specific details then I reckon you could expect to see up to £500 for an all-ply 3/4 in playable condition with no structural issues or buzzes. If it has a carved top it will be worth more. If it actually sounds nice it could be worth even more! :D
[/quote]
er.....interesting....but I know nothing about these things! carved top...? all-ply..? I think it needs to go my local guitar luthier to at least identify what it is made of.
Until tomorrow - thanks :)

Just have a close look at the edges, especially where there is wear or damage.

From the photos the front looks like the front might be carved from several pieces, the back looks like ply when zooming in on picture 3

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1337639521' post='1663457']
Just have a close look at the edges, especially where there is wear or damage.

From the photos the front looks like the front might be carved from several pieces, the back looks like ply when zooming in on picture 3
[/quote]
you obviously know your stuff Mr Bassman! I will get more precise picture uploaded tomorrow :)

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1337644446' post='1663506']
Looks like it was definately made in Hungary and is not actually a bass, but a really big violin.
[/quote]

They must have giants in Hungary...

I'd go for Boosey and Hawkes Golden Strad, 1960s Hungarian import, solid front, ply back and sides.
Squat shape, f-holes close together, C-bout with sloping lower corner.. quite distinct. Let me see ... does it look like this?

Yes I think it does.

Quite common, very good tone for a student bass. Thick chunky neck, small size, lightweight, good tone.
Nice budget bass. With top in good condition, no splits .... £5-800?

Edited by PaulKing