Why become a member? ×

Big Twins for Upright?

Hi Folks! has anyone tried using 12 inch speakers for amplifying Upright Bass? I'm looking at a Barefaced Big Twin to pair with my GK 1001? Yup! its a loud band scenario and i'm just wondering if i should be going down this expensive road.....Any thoughts

I've used both the Mesa Walkabout 12 and an AI Focus I into 2 Aggie GS112's. The latter had a little issue with feedback as it was so close to the bass in the venue.

IME, Loud + double bass = feedback unless you really can prepare your bass and rig somehow to withstand it.

Edited by TPJ

I currently use an Aguilar GS412/Iamp800 in a loud Rockabilly band. Fat, woody, near acoustic sound at loud stage level. Underwood straight into the Iamp now( recently ditched my preamp) and have no big issues with feedback, just careful eq and foam behind my tailpiece. I can get pretty close to my cab, but cutting the really low fequencies cuts back on feedback. The eq on the Iamp is very useable for upright, and 12's just sound great for double bass IMO. I'd love to try a Barefaced or Fearful with upright though, let us know how you get on.

I played a very loud gig a few months ago on my plywood bass going into an EA Doubler and Bergantino HT112 & EX112 (two 12 inch cabs, one with a tweeter). It was a Boogie Woogie gig with loads of bottom end coming from the piano so I needed to keep up.

I did find that I was on the edge slightly but I was turned up louder than usual so no surprise really. It was manageable and had no real problems as I was able to step away from the amp with the bass.

One strange thing happened actually. I had previously always used a Fishman BP100 and had moved over to an Underwood in the past few months. With the Underwood the odd occasional note around the D or E on the G string really made some loud strange noise when I plucked the note quite hard. It was so unnerving that I changed back to the Fishman for the second set (never done that on a gig ever, ever). This solved the problem but the sound wasn't as natural obviously.

I therefore think that the Fishman can be better for pushing the boundaries of volume on a double bass. Obviously theres nothing you can do if the body of the bass starts going. Ive had to do a bear hug on my bass in the distant past to stop it feeding back.

Generally speaking though using a couple of 12s on a loud gig is fine in my opinion. Happy to use my Underwood too, I just think it was one of those strange things that happened.

Edited by TheG

Have you asked Alex at BF what he thinks? There's the Super 12 as well to think about.

I use an EA Doubler into a BF Midget and it works very well. Sounds natural, and it's very loud as long as I don't lift it more than a couple of feet off the floor.

Thought of two midgets for the ultimate in felixibility? One with tweeter, one without? Oooh, I'm talking myself into a lather now. :D

Edited by fatback

Hi guys thanks for the input I'm taking all this on board. Barefaced claim that the Big Twin to be the loudest speaker that they do but my problem is 2x10 Big Twin or 4x10 Vanderkley or Genz Benz, Purple Chilli Bla! bla! It gets a bit confusing...... My main problem is volume. I'm playing with a V loud drummer Swing stuff RnR, Rockabilly, Reggae and an Elvis gig so some electric bass as well. I have recently got the GK1001 and have been using a GK RB800 with a 400w 4x10 but the 300w that the RB800 chucks out isn't loud enough. Can the drummer turn down i can almost hear you ask?? Not when he's being Ronnie Tut i shouted.....the search continues.....all advice great fully received Cheers!!!

Have you looked at EAD? The three way design is loud and full, but you also get the added flexibility of adjustable mid and tweeters. All in an easy to move speaker. [url="http://www.extendedaudiodesign.co.uk/"]Here is a link.[/url] :)

I use a Carvin MB-12 combo with a 12, 6.5 & tweeter. Very smooth & linear. The only limitation is when I use it for EB pushing a little harder, then I add a 1X15 cab to it. But on its own it's great for DB.

Edited by iiipopes

I use an ashdown ABM and super twelve T for both my electirc and DB rigs - v loud rock and roll - it's superb, loud, clear and smooth - almost all of that is down to the cab; I've tried loads of amps with it all with excellent results