Why become a member? ×

Precision style bass - what's it worth?

douglas81

Hello,

I have a Precision style bass which I'm planning to sell, but wonder if you lovely people here could help me with a valuation.

It was purchased from e-bay in 2009 from a seller who assembled guitars from OEM parts. As far as I remember it's an alder body, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. It is strung with La Bella Flatwounds. I think I paid £365 at the time, though I#m not 100% sure and can't find the e-bay auction e-mail now. I'm not sure what the pickup is, and the bridge just seems to be standard P-Bass style.

When I purchased it, it was all styled out like a James Jamerson bass (pickguard cover etc.), but I have since replaced the pick-guard with a really nice vintage white one (from Axes R Us).

(When I bought it it had a Fender decal on the headstock which, feeling it was a bit distasteful, I removed.)

It really is a gorgeous finish and a beautiful rich colour. I'm only selling as I bought it as a backup bass and its no longer required. I'm exclusively playing double bass these days. It plays really nicely. As low as it can go without excessive buzzing. A few very minor surface scratches and a couple of really minor dings.

So, what do you think? How much should I be asking for this bass?

Cheers!

Douglas.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1337099461' post='1655462']
It wasn't one of the "Signature" brand basses from Goert Lamperts, was it?
[/quote]

No. This was from an e-bay seller called "perfectly.good.guitars", who doesn't seem to be on e-bay any more. I remember his PayPal account name was David Kelly.

Edited by douglas81

The body join position says signature. They are very high quality instruments, on a USA standard type level, if someone was to open the case on one of these and tell you its a £1500 bass, you would not doubt them bar the missing name, they have that awe that a real America precision should have when you play them.

Edited by vax2002

Going by your given location, I imagine the going rate in Poland & UK are quite different, where do you hope to sell it?

The market is slow, if you put it up on here for £350 (sounds reasonable to me) see how much interest you get. Shipping costs need to be considered if the bass is in Poland of course.

Cheerz, John

[quote name='vax2002' timestamp='1337352936' post='1658701']
The body join position says signature. They are very high quality instruments, on a USA standard type level, if someone was to open the case on one of these and tell you its a £1500 bass, you would not doubt them bar the missing name, they have that awe that a real America precision should have when you play them.
[/quote]
Can you elaborate on this? What do you mean by "signature"? Also, not sure what you mean by "body join". Forgive me - I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to electric basses!

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1337355304' post='1658764']
Why a string tee on the back of the headstock instead of the common strap button?!!
[/quote]
Hmm, that's a good question. Not sure. Does anyone really attach a strap there anyway!?

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1337353072' post='1658706']
Going by your given location, I imagine the going rate in Poland & UK are quite different, where do you hope to sell it?

The market is slow, if you put it up on here for £350 (sounds reasonable to me) see how much interest you get. Shipping costs need to be considered if the bass is in Poland of course.

Cheerz, John
[/quote]
Just trying to actually work out how much it's worth, then will try and decide if it's worth selling here or in Poland or - if it's even worth selling at all!

It looks lovely, and I'm no expert but the headstock, (in it's colour and in the way the apex of the scroll curve is centred between the D & G string posts) is very much like a Jim Deacon PB62. (or even a re-laquered Squier Affinity) I hope it isn't as you'll not recoup much of that £365.

Edited by pst62

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1337355304' post='1658764']
Why a string tee on the back of the headstock instead of the common strap button?!!
[/quote]
[quote name='douglas81' timestamp='1337429952' post='1659784']
Hmm, that's a good question. Not sure. Does anyone really attach a strap there anyway!?
[/quote]
[list=1]
[*]The maker mistakenly attached a tree
[*]The maker ran out of strap buttons and thought "I'll use a string tree. No-one will notice."
[*]Someone thought a string tree would work better than a strap button. Wider diameter, see, and less chance of the strap coming adrift.
[/list]
Does anyone attach the strap there? Not these days, but maybe in the 60's.

These minutiae aside, it's a lovely looking bass - good luck if you decide to sell it :)

[quote name='douglas81' timestamp='1337429902' post='1659780']
Can you elaborate on this? What do you mean by "signature"? Also, not sure what you mean by "body join". Forgive me - I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to electric basses!
[/quote]
Here you go
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/slonk18/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I stand corrected, Goert does Signature P basses too, apologies.

I bought a jazz body from Goert. It looked good, but the holes in the neck pocket were off centre, and the pocket was deeper than Fender. I tried to verify his story about the company with the chamber of trade in Cranston, but they had no record of it. I made quite a nice replica with it, but lost heavily on selling it.

I have some vague recollection the parts might be from Allparts - I saw a post mentioning that company and the name rings a bell. How would I check? Do all parts have distinctive marks or serial number anywhere? Don't want to take the bass apart if it won't tell me anything anyway!

• 1 month later...