Why become a member? ×

Has anyone tried this yet?

musophilr

The genres thing was silly. IMO There are only two types of music, that which I like and that which I don't. I have deleted all genre information from the tracks in iTunes, because I have no use for it.

Most of the music I like plays free and easy with standard "genre" features.

Besides isn't the main feature of Hiphop rap-style vocals? Since none of the clips had any vocals on them none could have been hiphop.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1337164596' post='1656364']
Besides isn't the main feature of Hiphop rap-style vocals? Since none of the clips had any vocals on them none could have been hiphop.
[/quote]

That is exactly what I thought. The samples used in hiphop are from a wide range of musical genres.

Enthusiasm for music - 96%
Musical Perception - 99%
Emotional Connection - 100%
Social Creativity - 95%
Musical Curiosity - 98%

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:108134]

Then we get to the practical stuff - Oh dear!!!

grouping of music - not too brilliant - was convinced that the 4 groupings were Jazz, Classical, Reggae and Rock!! At least I got all of the rock ones right!!

Match the Beat - did OK on most of those (as has been said previously, how "off the beat" could things be but still be on the beat??

Tap to the Beat - Did well on this, mostly (I say mostly as I sort of got bored after a couple, improvised, and put in some runs and fills where I felt the music needed them!!)

Melody Memory - 8 out of 12 - not bad!!

Edited by wmsheep

Enthusiasm for music - 95%
Musical perception - 99%
Emotional connection - 82%
Social creativity - 96%
Musical curiosity - 99%

Like others, I was quite surprised that I didn't score higher on Emotional connection. Then again, I do see that music doesn't rule my world like it did 30 years back, so maybe the results show some old git relativism on my part.

Like some others, I was bewildered by the music styles, thinking they meant classical, jazz, reggae, hip hop, pop and rock, whilst still giving me only four groups. :lol:

Maybe I read the instructions poorly, but I gave the slightly off-beat examples the OK, thinking that it was OK enough for a test like this. Wrong!

I was very disappointed with my ability to compare the piano tunes, and felt I was more lucky than I deserved.
Happily though, I will live.

best,
bert