Why become a member? ×

Dean

jimbartlett

Hi guys,

I have had a Dean Z Tour Bass since last year and love it so much that it has become my main gigging Bass. I have recently bought another from Dean which is a Limited Edition Trans-Red ML Bass. 24 were made to a custom spec and I managed to buy one :) ! It arrived yesterday from the USA and I haven't put it down since. Unlike the Z Tour, it is a passive Bass fitted with Dean MetalMan pickups. The sound is really cool, as good as I hoped it would be. The MetalMan pickups are really hot and are great for what I primarly play.

I hope you enjoy the pictures:

Dean Trans-Red ML Bass

Dean Z Tour Bass

Thanks,

Jim.

[quote name='Machines' post='180101' date='Apr 18 2008, 08:06 PM']I like the red one, the black one is cool too, but not in the same league. Is the ML well balanced ?[/quote]

Yes, the ML is much better balanced than the Z, hardly a touch of neck dive. The strap button is behind the neck a-la Gibson which does help. I moved the Z a while back to the same position to help this too. The main thing with the ML is the weight..it is very light but still projects an amazing tone!

As I said, the pickups are the Dean MetalMan pickups you find on their MetalMan series. According to some of the guys in the States, the bog-standard MetalMan series Basses are really good. The passive ones apparently sound better than the active which is a pretty good thing seeing as you can buy a passive MetalMan ML Bass over here for about £190.

I'm going to try and get Dean to make a Ltd Editon Demonator or V Bass in the near future too. :)

Edited by jimbartlett

[quote name='jimbartlett' post='180122' date='Apr 18 2008, 08:32 PM']Yes, the ML is much better balanced than the Z, hardly a touch of neck dive. The strap button is behind the neck a-la Gibson which does help. I moved the Z a while back to the same position to help this too. The main thing with the ML is the weight..it is very light but still projects an amazing tone!

As I said, the pickups are the Dean MetalMan pickups you find on their MetalMan series. According to some of the guys in the States, the bog-standard MetalMan series Basses are really good. The passive ones apparently sound better than the active which is a pretty good thing seeing as you can buy a passive MetalMan ML Bass over here for about £190.

I'm going to try and get Dean to make a Ltd Editon Demonator or V Bass in the near future too. :)[/quote]

Mmmmm. Pointy!

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='180268' date='Apr 19 2008, 01:20 AM']great to see another Dean lover!
i love both of my metalman models - i have the ML and Demonator.
Jim is right about the pickups - these are really hot, tight and soooo punchy!!
The main problem is finding cases foer them!![/quote]

Yes, I have the Dean gig bags at the moment. I am going to get some cases built by Flightcase Warehouse when I get the money. Also, it's a bugger finding a stand which is big enough to take them. I have the Hercules stands but both Basses are too long for them! My Thunderbird used to hang nicely from the Hercules so that shows you how long these Deans are!

I am really tempted by the Demonator, I don't know wether to get the MetalMan single pickup model or save a bit more and get the Demonator 4. Also, like I said above, I am going to try and get a custom Demonator run built by Dean.