Why become a member? ×

1974 Fender Jazz on Ebay - not quite as it should be!

Gunsfreddy2003

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1337083288' post='1655055']
Just to confuse the issue, The Gallery currently have a mocha 74 Jazz..... 4 bolts and body end truss rod:

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/Product_VintageGear.cfm"]http://www.thebassga...VintageGear.cfm[/url]
[/quote]

74 is right in the middle of the transition from four bolts to three bolt neck and bullet truss rod (and change of thumbrest). Either (and in fact pretty much any combination) can be correct for that period.

In fact the one in that link has an old style four bolt neck, but the new position for the thumbrest. There's no definitive cut off point, and Fender mixed and matched for some years.

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1337084164' post='1655077']
I think there's a common misunderstanding that if a '75 doesn't have exactly the same features as a '75RI it's fake :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Next you'll be telling that wasn't a real R*ckenbacker 4001 you sold me, Chris

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1337085507' post='1655100']
Next you'll be telling that wasn't a real R*ckenbacker 4001 you sold me, Chris
[/quote]

As well you know Mr Johnson, it was a 100% absolutely no doubts whatsoever cannot be disputed fake :D

Yep, any of the combinations mentioned above are possible. Mine, 4 bolt neck, bullet trussrod, large serif text. The body is a '73 and the thumbrest is on the E side.. Fender were just using up bits for a while during the transition. It is also worth mentioning that a considerable number of instruments from this period were not very good! So if you find one in immaculate condition, there's probably a reason why it has not been played much (dives for cover)

Ha ha - in that case I am glad that mine is proper f***ed!!

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1337089531' post='1655199']
Yep, any of the combinations mentioned above are possible. Mine, 4 bolt neck, bullet trussrod, large serif text. The body is a '73 and the thumbrest is on the E side.. Fender were just using up bits for a while during the transition. It is also worth mentioning that a considerable number of instruments from this period were not very good! So if you find one in immaculate condition, there's probably a reason why it has not been played much (dives for cover)
[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is a 74 in Mocha. Large text. Thumbrest above the E string. Four bolt neck. No bullet. And the trussrod is accessed at the body end.

I've no idea about the legitimacy or otherwise of the particular combination of features that this eBay instrument has but I will say this - the finish does not appear to be correct at all. Especially all those scratches which have gone 'dark' - perhaps consistent with it having been stained when already 'raw' in places.

Mine, I've owned from the start and it's totally different - more of a thick rich mocha 'shell' around the body. Just pretty much exactly like the one currently in The Gallery in fact.

CB