Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM1000

Pete Academy

I have just tried the new Ashdown ABM1000. Devastating power with tons of headroom. The new digital power amp has reduced the weight, but it doesn't sound like it's a digital amp. Loads of bottom end. To me, the amp sounds more punchy and responsive than a current ABM. Sounded great with an active Yamaha and a Fender Jazz.

I can't believe there's a 2000w version!

Well worth trying out.

Cheers for that. I was thinking about getting one of these, but after spending a few years with these new fangled lightweight amps I always felt there was something missing from the sound, and thought maybe I should go back to a heavyweight.

I think I ought to really try one out.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1336571936' post='1647702']
Looks interesting, if a little ambitiously priced. Be interesting to get it alongside an OTB1000 to see if it's worth the extra 400 quid.
[/quote]

Considering the amount of extra features and that they are making them in the UK custom shop vs the OTB made in china i think the price is actually really good. May have to have a blast through one and see if I can get the same tone as my Klystron with less weight as I am sure my back would thank me in the long run!

[quote name='phatbass787' timestamp='1337788280' post='1665500']
Considering the amount of extra features and that they are making them in the [b]UK custom shop vs[/b] the OTB [b]made in china[/b] i think the price is actually really good.
[/quote]

I stopped worrying about things like that a long time ago. If it's survived travelling sea-freight and doesn't drop dead during the first few tens of hours of use (wherein you can easily get it swapped out under warranty) then it's probably going to last a length of time commensurate to the level of care shown to it during its service life, irrespective of what it is and where it was made.

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1337791384' post='1665549']
I stopped worrying about things like that a long time ago. If it's survived travelling sea-freight and doesn't drop dead during the first few tens of hours of use (wherein you can easily get it swapped out under warranty) then it's probably going to last a length of time commensurate to the level of care shown to it during its service life, irrespective of what it is and where it was made.
[/quote]

Yup I dont think theres much wrong with most chinese gear these days as long as properly QC'd, underlying fact though is its still cheaper to make stuff in china than UK hence the price of UK product understandibly being higher

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' timestamp='1406235552' post='2509719']
This interests me, does anyone know how these compare to the GB Streamliner 900 and Shuttle 9.2 heads ?
[/quote]

That interests me too - I have both the GB heads and I like to have a quick starting solid state amp for when I can't use the valve goodness of my Mesa.

But since getting the Mesa I'm finding the GB heads a bit lacking.

I used to have an original red front Ashdown Mag400H (when they were still made in the UK) and it was a superb amp.

• 10 months later...

Having owned the 400 watt version for 2 years now I have just ordered the 1000w version , I've never been so happy with an amp . The 400 watt version is easily loud enough for most gigs I just wanted the 1000 because it's there . comparing it to the MB & TC heads I have it's got so much more depth .

• 3 weeks later...