Why become a member? ×

Help! Valuation on an old MIJ P-Bass

Max Normal

I have this roadworn MIJ E-series precision for trade (1985). People keep asking if I will take cash, but I genuinely have no idea of a value. This U-series (~1995) just went for £450.00 on the for sale forum, but is admittedly in lovely condition. I thought mine was worth no more than that, maybe less.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/175174-sold/

JV and SQ go for silly money, but apart from a few decals (and possibly that mine has USA pickups being an E-series) seem identical to mine in every way, but I know mine is not worth as much. Will mine go up in value to match?

This is a pretty dinged old bass (ahem, I mean "Roadworn vintage bass with Mojo"), but plays and sounds very well. What do I quote for a price without pissing people off or ripping myself off?

it's here:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/175717-e-series-precision-1985-for-trade-with-soundclip/

Thanks for any advice!

well you could always piss people off and then reduce the piss in increments until someone bites.
JV and SQ go for differing money depending on age and where in the range it is. So a JV fender will be different to a JV squier and if you are lucky like me you have a JV squier that says fender. I *think* SQ was just squier range while E series could be squier or fender? different specs mind. My advice would be look what Japanese fender P basses go for recently and start from there- then work out if the fact it's an E series adds to it's value and by how much.
Also I didn't know the E series had USA pups in them?

It's a commonly held internet myth. In 1985 there were 4 different MIJ series, A, B, C and E. E-serials were currently being used by the USA basses of the time as well. When the Fender USA factory shut down in 1985 to move to Corona, there was no USA production of P-basses for a time. E-series were the export basses made to fill in this deficit (hence the same serial as the USA series). legend has it that because these were destined for the Western (and particularly American) market, that these were of better build quality, and that some had USA hardware (except machines). I have no idea if this is true and nobody (including the Fender forums) seems to have an answer, but you'll see it bandied around on forums, particularly by guitarists.

This is supposedly why E-series is sought after above many other early MIJ basses.

Edited by Max Normal

hmmm are these the same american parts that were supposed to go onto the JV's 3 years previously too?
Easy way to find out really, if the screws and fittings are metric or imperial!
Thing is you say about them making it with "better build quality" and that's bit's rubbish- it's a japanese fender- of course it's got better build quality! :)
My guess on price, on basschat about the same as any other MIJ/CIJ P bass, in the wider world you might find someone who has a thing for fender japan E series.

I thought that JV, SQ and E (plus A,B,C) were from the same production run and certainly look identical to me when I look at the dimensions, headstock logos and hardware. i thought that E-series are just more common and the last of the production run, and therefore worth slightly less. Maybe you are right though and they are worth the same as other MIJ basses I don't know.

Any other Jap afficionados can help me?

Edited by Max Normal

The JVs, SQs and later models weren't from the same production run as there were significant differences. The export JVs were quite closely based on sixties models, SQs more loosely on ones from the seventies and later models included various updates. As I'm sure you are aware, the 'E series' wasn't actually a series at all and included a wide variety of different models - including many that were produced for the domestic market and never exported from Japan.

I've got to admit I'm a little sceptical of some of your information, as some of it flies in the face of known facts and other bits, as Luke has pointed out, resembles some of the rather dubious claims made for the JVs

The 21frets site is really the go to place for info on the early Squires, and there's an associated forum. Might be worth posting there. :)

[quote name='Max Normal' timestamp='1336519200' post='1647070']
I thought that JV, SQ and E (plus A,B,C) were from the same production run and certainly look identical to me when I look at the dimensions, headstock logos and hardware. i thought that E-series are just more common and the last of the production run, and therefore worth slightly less. Maybe you are right though and they are worth the same as other MIJ basses I don't know.

Any other Jap afficionados can help me?
[/quote]

there were several different production runs of JV alone! a few different runs for JV squier for export, then JV squier for japan, then JV fender logo for japan.... all of differing qualities and price points.
For instance a Fender JV serialed P bass for the japanese market will be different than a Squier JV for the export market.
So your E series looks from a distance like my one. But isn't that similar and if you are into 'collectorbillity' or whatever isn't in the same league.
Like Musky says I would question the source of some of your information...

Right that all sounds a bit negative- lets have some positive.
You have a great wee P bass, fender japan necks are second to none- I'm willing to bet the feel on the neck would better almost anything you can find saying fender made in mexico or the USA, it's probably reasonably lightweight and I guess sounds brilliant. In conclusion a cracking early production japanese fender and not to be sniffed at.

Having viewed the pictures.
The Neckplate has a stamp job
The finish is chipped, which is slightly worse than worn 6/10 grade
the neck has chinks
The bridge is non OEM, if you still have the real one, it will add to value.
In its present condition your bass has a value of [b]£375[/b]
[b]The value is not the same as Worth[/b], The Worth is what someone will pay, given todays giddy buyers who confuse old with vintage and vintage with collectable , it could easily fetch £450

So Here is my Valuation:

Actual value £375
Worth £450 private sale
Dealer will buy at £225
Collectable asset increase value 8% per year

Hope this helps

Edited by vax2002

[quote name='vax2002' timestamp='1336640722' post='1648666']
Having viewed the pictures.
The Neckplate has a stamp job
The finish is chipped, which is slightly worse than worn 6/10 grade
the neck has chinks
The bridge is non OEM, if you still have the real one, it will add to value.
In its present condition your bass has a value of [b]£375[/b]
[b]The value is not the same as Worth[/b], The Worth is what someone will pay, given todays giddy buyers who confuse old with vintage and vintage with collectable , it could easily fetch £450

So Here is my Valuation:

Actual value £375
Worth £450 private sale
Dealer will buy at £225
Collectable asset increase value 8% per year

Hope this helps
[/quote] given that you can guess an 8% increase year on year, you must be able to read the future during this recession, please please go work for the treasury!