Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Bass 1972/3 SOLD

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hi All,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Up for sale is my original [/font][/color][color=red][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1972/3[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=red][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fender[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=red][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Precision[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Bass, with its original case. £1,650 or trades, preferably upwards with me adding cash.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Its not without its dings, dongs and checking but overall is in fantastic condition, plays beautifully and is s[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]uper light at 8.1lbs.......a beauty.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The only flaw is a repair to the pickguard tip by the jack (see pic)....very well handled by a real expert.....me :-)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cheers, Si[/font][/color]

Edited by 0353203

• 3 weeks later...

Great looking bass, if it was rosewood neck, i'd definitely have it off you. Can you (or anyone?) answer my strange question. Why does the maple neck look pale, as it would be when it left the factory, yet the headstock is nicely aged to a vintage tint? I've seen loads of basses like this, so it must be what happens, but why??

I have tried this instrument and it's a cracking bass. Classic maple neck P bass tone, no dead notes and in superb condition.
I would have bought it, but found I need a jazz profile neck to fit my rather small hands.
Si is a great guy to deal with too.

Bassdog - the headstock front is nearly always darker than the rest of the neck on Fender basses of this era. This is very normal, but I cant remember why - think its the varnish Ill let Si explain as he has 'the knowledge'.

• 3 weeks later...

[size=4][font=arial, sans-serif]From late '68 until sometime in the mid-late 70's Fender painted the entire neck with clear poly. Then, after drying, they applied the decal and sealed it with a clear coat of lacquer. This was because they decided they wanted to protect the decal, but the poly finish reacted with the decal (it wrinkled), so they stopped. If a bass has been exposed to UV, the head stock can turn very, very dark amber, while the clear poly on the rest of the neck remains quite clear white....[/font][/size]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Its a different story pre-68....or the 'golden age' :-)[/font]