Why become a member? ×

Buying advice for beginner to DB (but not a beginner to music)

Hi all,

I've been trawling this section of BassChat for a while now as I am desperately after pushing myself to buy a double bass.
Something that surprised me is that there is no sticky for beginners' buying advice. There is clearly a whole load of knowledge on here, from the insanely detailed to general advice. I'm not a beginner to music - but I am to buying a DB in fact, the school I teach at has just started cello and violin lessons and I keep grabbing the tiny cellos and having a go - the sound is addictive so, I WANT IN!

I'm after adding the DB to my arsenal of instruments (guitars/ BG/ drums etc.) and have a few questions. Firstly, where am I going to use it? I'm in a rock/pop covers band at the moment but the DB could really add a twist on stuff. Love a bit of jazz/ blues etc.

Do I go for a 3/4 or 4/4? I understand there are different shapes too.

I've seen on gear4music and Thomann that for under £500 you could get DB, case, pup - is this too good to be true?
That is round about my starting budget.

Any advice will be gratefully received, I hope that the resulting posts will supply enough info to get a sticky together to help people like me who have caught the bug.

Advice I've picked up so far:[list=1]
[*]I understand[b] that cheaper (read poorer quality) instruments (in general) don't have the sustain/ 'voice' etc. that a expensive (read higher quality) instrument has[/b] however I am not going to be in the position of being a session DB player in the studio. So, do I really need that level of quality when it probably isn't going to be heard?
[*]I've seen the comments about going [b]Euro over Chinese [/b]
[*][b]To hold off and find a better secondhand one over a new poorer quality one[/b] - not ideal as I can't really wait/ have the time to collect.
[*][b]Hybrid basses[/b] - ones that has a solid wood top with laminated back and sides, [b]are a lot less problematic when it comes to amplifying onstage.[/b]
[*][b]£500 budget (all in) is unrealistic[/b] for a DB that you want to progress with.
[*]3/4 is the closest to a standard size for an adult that you will find, [b]get a 3/4 if you're in any doubt[/b]. Don't worry about the shape.
[*][b]About the Double Bass by Peter Tyler[/b]. You will find it very useful to give you a good understanding of the bass and you will be more knowledgeable in your search. It will cost £20 but that will be a very good investment. Send Peter an email at www.tylerbasses.co.uk
[*]The [b]Hybrid Thomann 22[/b] has come recommended several times
[/list]

Edited by citymariner

I'd personally recommend going for a hybrid bass - one that has a solid wood top with laminated back and sides. I've found, through painful trail and error, that they're a lot less problematic when it comes to amplifying onstage.

The bass I play both onstage and in studio's cost about £700 from Thomann. It was a pot luck affair, borne out of frustration that my £3500 carved bass was impossible to play live with any volume because of feedback. To my surprise the Thomann has about 85% of the tone that the carved one has but is significantly easier and more practical to use live (which is where I predominantly use it so that could be a deciding factor for you).

The £700 got me the bass, but not a pickup or case, and I did put a new set of strings on it, so factor in another £300-400 for all of that. One major advantage in buying from Thomann is that they can do the setup for you, and the bass will ship with the soundpost in place so you can string it up right away, is that you'll save the time and expense of going to a luthier. That's money you can out towards the pickup, etc.

I realise that I'm talking about doubling your budget but the reality is that anything less will either hinder your development in terms of playing the thing (I curse my early days of playing when I didn't know double basses could actually be set up better than mine was) or be an absolute nightmare to use live and you'll begin the rue the day the upright bug bit.

I appreciate you're in a hurry, but in my (limited) experience upright demands such a lot of commitment that getting the best instrument you can is hugely important. You're going to spend a lot of time with this thing over the next years.

A liitle patience in the search can really pay off, especially if it opens up the second-hand market for you. There have been some great bargains on here over the last while, but you need to be able to wait.

The problem with poor instrumements for a beginner imo isn't really sustain etc, it's playability. Same goes for setup and strings - you need to spend a bit of cash and time to get the most comfortable setup for you. Fighting the bass is no fun at all.

+1 to Gareth's point about more expensive not always being better and hybrids being a good solution, but I'd add that all-ply serves people well too, especially if you're going to be playing amplified most of the time. The consensus seems to be that with ply, old is better than new.

In the best of all worlds you'd be looking for an old Czech or Roumanian 3/4 ply or hybrid. If you can get one for £6-800 you could have a bargain and you might play it for life. You'd then spend £200 on a setup and maybe £100 on strings. A pickup and preamp (another £150) could wait, if you didn't mean to gig straight away.

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1336392731' post='1644826']I'm after adding the DB to my arsenal of instruments (guitars/ BG/ drums etc.) and have a few questions. Firstly, where am I going to use it? I'm in a rock/pop covers band at the moment but the DB could really add a twist on stuff. Love a bit of jazz/ blues etc.[/quote]

Well, for a start bear in mind that the DB is a pretty physical instrument to play - you will get fatigued quickly if you don't practise regularly, and your intonation will be poor too. So you do need to commit quite a bit of time to it if you want to get satisfying results.

You might not find a use for it in your current covers band. I got one just because I wanted one but I've ended up using it for busking (certainly more practical unamplified than an acoustic bass guitar, it can keep up with a dreadnought acoustic guitar), recording, and I'm currently looking for a full-time gig on it. It didn't get any time in my band when I bought it - punk/reggae originals.

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1336392731' post='1644826']Do I go for a 3/4 or 4/4? I understand there are different shapes too.[/quote]

3/4 is the closest to a standard size for an adult that you will find, get a 3/4 if you're in any doubt. Don't worry about the shape.

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1336392731' post='1644826']I've seen on gear4music and Thomann that for under £500 you could get DB, case, pup - is this too good to be true?
That is round about my starting budget.[/quote]

I think Gareth's suggestion of the Thomann 22 is probably the best budget bass you can buy new, if you can afford another few hundred quid. Other than that it's really a matter of watching the used market and pouncing on something.

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1336392731' post='1644826']I understand[b] that cheaper (read poorer quality) instruments (in general) don't have the sustain/ 'voice' etc. that a expensive (read higher quality) instrument has[/b] however I am not going to be in the position of being a session DB player in the studio. So, do I really need that level of quality when it probably isn't going to be heard?[/quote]

The main issue in my experience is that the sound of cheaper ply basses (not much sustain, and a very bassy tone) make it more difficult to get your intonation right, so they can be a bit frustrating for beginners. Especially on stage with other musicians it can be surprisingly difficult to play in tune. So that's the main reason I would say spend a bit more and get a bass with a more open sound.

Edited by thisnameistaken

Can I recommend a good book for beginners and improvers alike: About the Double Bass by Peter Tyler. You will find it very useful to give you a good understanding of the bass and you will be more knowledgeable in your search. It will cost £20 but that will be a very good investment. Send Peter an email at www.tylerbasses.co.uk

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1336397292' post='1644934']
Can I recommend a good book for beginners and improvers alike: About the Double Bass by Peter Tyler. You will find it very useful to give you a good understanding of the bass and you will be more knowledgeable in your search. It will cost £20 but that will be a very good investment. Send Peter an email at www.tylerbasses.co.uk
[/quote]
I bought one of those last time you recommended it and now I can recommend it too.

Wow, thanks for the responses.

Having bought many guitars, of all types, in the past I have one that is just sweet so I am willing to invest time into research and my impatience is partly due to my eagerness to getting going. I've played on a couple when I've done the sound for a beer fests (as recent as Baldock Beer Fest this weekend past).

I got told that the only pickup to go for is a K&K - any truth in this? I googled it and there are a range of models so think it was a very general comment.

Edited by citymariner

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1336397717' post='1644947']
I got told that the only pickup to go for is a K&K - any truth in this? I googled it and there are a range of models so think it was a very general comment.
[/quote]

The K&K Bassmax is a good place to start with pickups. Very easy to fit and easy to sell on if its not to your liking.

I think I got lucky but I bought a second-hand Antoni from Nick of this parish for £250 and it's great. It cost £250 (sans case) and I've spent £40 with a luthier getting a couple of odd jobs done (tailpin and new sound post) and it's opening up great. As I play outdoors, a plywood bass with poly urethene varnish fits the bill just fine.

I have a checklist of other jobs which I'm getting done as finance allows (next one is new strings and a bit more relief on the fingerboard) but those are optional rather than essential.

It came reccomended when I bought it from Nick and I knew exactly what I was getting. If your need is not urgent then it may be worth hanging fire and watching what comes up here.

Steve

PS I would also suggest having some lessons fairly early on, it makes life a lot easier and less painful.

Just get the Thomann and get going. Anything for your budget is going to be flawed but it will get you going and you can upgrade when and if you want to. You can spend a year splitting hairs and still end up with something that the purists will sneer at (those same purists sneer at their own basses as well and always want the next one). Just get moving....