Why become a member? ×

Wizard Thumpers vs Trads - output/volume

Nibody

I have a set each of these. They are in virtualy identical precisions. I've noticed the Thumpers seem to have a much lower output than the Trad's - its really started to bother me now. Have emailed Andy at Wizard but not heard back yet. Am I being a total noob, or should the Thumpers have more "oomph" than the "Trads"? Wondering if its a wiring or earthing issue on my part (both are self builds). It's a shame as I love the darkness of the Thumpers.

Both have the same value pots (they're 250k CTS pots). Yes I could turn up the gain, but seeing as the difference in output is close to that between an Active and Passive, it kind of defeats the object. I'm more concerned that there is an issue with the pickups as the output difference is so noticeable so i want to clear up any other possible problems that could cause the output difference before screaming that the pickups are duff.

Well the thumpers are 14k ohms and the trads are 10 so maybe there is a problem with your set. Andy is as good as gold though, you won't need to scream at him. He has helped me trace a problem, very patiently on the phone whilst i've been tinkering with soldering iron and wires.

Could it be that the thumper is out of phase. there is a test you can do but very unhelpfully, I can't recall what it is :unsure: (stupid senior head).