Why become a member? ×

New Amp Day! Ashdown 220 Touring 1x12

Mornats

Finally! After many posts on here asking for (and receiving by the bucketload) advice on a new bass amp I finally got one.

I popped into PMT in Bristol to try out a few contenders, mainly the Ashdown MAG 300 head and 2x10 cab (which they didn't have in stock). I had a go on the Ashdown EB 180 12", a MAG 500 head going into a 1x15 cab and the 220 Touring 1x12. I also listened to another customer going through the Ashdown 330 Touring with the same bass I used (a MIM Fender P).

Out of all the amps, the Touring amps were by far and away the nicest sounding. A lovely natural, warm, and "true" (as the other customer explained it) sound. The EB and MAGs sounded a bit dry and processed in comparison. The retro styling looks great too. The other guy who was in there walked out with the 330 Touring after having tried a few amps, including one of their Peaveys.

I know I have to do pics for you all so I'll get some done ASAP. :)

Got band practice tomorrow and a short slot at our local funfair on Monday (which was a surprise to me!) so I'll let you know how it gets on. So far, a quick test at home has shown that it's pretty damn good. I've never had my Overwater J4 sound so good. So I'm one very happy bunny!

Well at band practice last night it sounded beautiful. Upping the gain on the tube preamp gave it a nice growl, it cut through fine and sounds nice and raw and natural. You pretty much get the bass' sound coming through the amp rather than the amp adding its distinct sound to it. At least that's my opinion :) And it's loud! Should be OK playing in the park today hopefully. :) We're on at around 2.30 or so. I'll be the guy with the Overwater bass who looks like he's shitting himself due to being quite unprepared for this gig!

It's a little beast, I love it :) Glad you could make it down and I hope we didn't make you cringe at the mistakes we all made! I don't think I'll need the extension cab any time soon as I pretty much drowned out the PA today hehe.

Glad you're getting on with your new combo mate :)
That Ashdown "Touring" range seems incredible value for money!

If I was you I'd save up for the 1x12 cab, you can't beat the sound of 2x12, plus they're so bloomin' cheap from Thomann... :yarr:

Eude

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1336469294' post='1645912']
Wow, they're £80 cheaper than anywhere else! I don't think I need the added volume just yet but I'd be interested in what it does for the overall sound. Plus I think it would look well cool sitting under my combo :)
[/quote]

It'd take a "big" sound and make it HUGE!
It would look cool, plus it'll help with on stage sound dispersion, having a the top speaker a little nearer head height will help you hear yourself a bit better...
Nothing much to lose :)

Eude

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1336507985' post='1646741']
You had me at "it would look cool" :)
[/quote]

I nearly said it would look PIMP, but I wasn't sure if folks say that anymore... ;)

Eude

• 1 month later...

Wanna hear the amp? I recorded a cover of Money at band rehearsal the other week.

Some points to note:
I recorded this just using the voice recorder on my iPhone (which can handle loud music quite well).
Our singer (also our guitarist) wasn't mic'd up so he just shouted above the noise!
I wasn't expecting the band to be ready when I started playing so played it fast just as I was waiting. I honestly didn't expect them to join in. The timing sorted itself out quickly though and we liked the added pace to it.
I can't count to 16 bars apparently and gave the drummer the nod to end the song halfway through the guitar solo at the end. Ooops!
Apologies for my potty mouth at the end :) I was lined up for a nice gentle version of this track.

[b]Ashdown 220 Touring[/b]
[url="http://soundcloud.com/mornats/money-band-rehearsal-with"]http://soundcloud.co...-rehearsal-with[/url]

*Edit*
Thought you may want to compare the sound to the Laney Linebacker I used for a previous version of this (recorded in the same way but a little slower!)

[b]Laney Linebacker[/b]
[url="http://soundcloud.com/mornats/whisky-river-money"]http://soundcloud.com/mornats/whisky-river-money[/url]

Edited by Mornats