Why become a member? ×

Email - multiple notifications

StraightSix

I have Email notifications set so that replies to threads I 'follow' forward an Email to let me know of a reply.

Why does the site server send notifications for every reply...? Is this something I can change in the settings area (I've had a look and can't see anything obvious)...?

Over on TB (ahem), the website server only sends a single Email for any number of replies which seems like a much better idea and doesn't Email again until you have visited the site.

I replied to a popular thread here on BC today, left my PC for an hour or so and when I came back I had nearly fifty Email notifications for this single topic in my Inbox which is madness.

Am I missing something...?

• 2 months later...

Yeah, but I prefer the 'usual' approach you find on most forums (and BC before the migration) - i.e. you get a single notification when there's a reply.

My inbox is creaking under the weight of people congratulating me on my various witticisms.*

[size=2]*not really. it is rammed, though.[/size]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1341912991' post='1725915']
Yeah, but I prefer the 'usual' approach you find on most forums (and BC before the migration) - i.e. you get a single notification when there's a reply.

My inbox is creaking under the weight of people congratulating me on my various witticisms.*

[size=2]*not really. it is rammed, though.[/size]
[/quote]

It was my understanding that you can set your choice via the user CP to choose the regularity of notifications?: Or is this not working?

[attachment=112865:Settings.jpg]

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1342023883' post='1728326']
It was my understanding that you can set your choice via the user CP to choose the regularity of notifications?: Or is this not working?

[attachment=112865:Settings.jpg]
[/quote]

'Immediate' tells you every time someone replies to a thread... which can get messy. There's no setting to just tell you the once, like there is on other forums (and BC pre-migration).

As an aside, I'll bet BC's advertisers would love this to be reinstated...

I'll have browse through the invision forums to see if there is: 1. the demand for a tweak; 2. any hope of an invision code monkey producing it, which I think in real terms probably means 'don't hold your breath'

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1342047616' post='1728886']
I'll have browse through the invision forums to see if there is: 1. the demand for a tweak; 2. any hope of an invision code monkey producing it, which I think in real terms probably means 'don't hold your breath'
[/quote]

It would be good - even TB does it :D

• 2 weeks later...

I turn off all email apart from PMs. I'm here all the time anyway and set my homepage as the 'threads I follow' view so it's clear when someone posts in a thread I'm following.

I think a fix is in order though and it's in the pipeline I think.

I remember this came up a while ago and Ben had a look on the Invision forum. Lots of other people have requested the feature so I presume they are working on it for a future update. In fact, it may actually be included in the update we are missing out because we're waiting for the one after that which has additional security fixes from the recent issues.

We've just hired a web developer to sort us out with some fixes so he will get round to this issue eventually...

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Rather than open a new topic I thought I'd re-awaken this one – hope you can help?

I'm not getting any notification emails, despite changing various settings in my profile! I used to get them before the forum software was updated and I've only just returned after an absence, so it's a new issue that I haven't yet been able to resolve.

I did consider changing my assigned email address as the next step, but thought I'd ask here first ...

Thanks for a good suggestion – as I have my own webservers I'm able to check at root level! Only to find some interesting entries in my Exim mainlog:

[size=2]root@sigma [~]# grep basschat /var/log/exim_mainlog
2012-08-27 20:38:15 H=john.basschat.co.uk (john) [178.79.174.79]:43634 rejected MAIL <[email protected]>: Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821 4.1.1.1)
2012-08-27 20:38:15 SMTP connection from john.basschat.co.uk (john) [178.79.174.79]:43634 closed by DROP in ACL
2012-08-28 19:32:43 H=john.basschat.co.uk (john) [178.79.174.79]:33660 rejected MAIL <[email protected]>: Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821 4.1.1.1)
2012-08-28 19:32:43 SMTP connection from john.basschat.co.uk (john) [178.79.174.79]:33660 closed by DROP in ACL
2012-08-28 21:36:49 H=john.basschat.co.uk (john) [178.79.174.79]:47850 rejected MAIL <[email protected]>: Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821 4.1.1.1)
2012-08-28 21:36:49 SMTP connection from john.basschat.co.uk (john) [178.79.174.79]:47850 closed by DROP in ACL[/size]

Presumably these are the notifications that I should have been receiving? Yes, these two messages coincide with LemonCello's replies to [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/183859-price-drop-markbass-lmii-korg-dtr2000-dbx-166xl-boschma-rack/page__view__findpost__p__1766339"]my current topic[/url], which have arrived since I last modified my notification settings.

It would seem that cPanel/WHM added some RFC-compliant HELO checking way back in 2008 with v.11.24, so as my Linux servers are now running v.11.32 I doubt this is suddenly why I'm not accepting mail from your side.

I also have nothing set to reject mail from Google, so, before I make any changes or conduct further experimentation with white-listing etc, can you comment on my findings and make suggestions/ask further questions, please?

• 6 months later...