Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thinking about downsizing my rig

badboy1984

I'm start to thinking about downsizing my bass rig, something that i can easily transport on my own without breaking my back etc. Consider i have to carry up and down the stair and into my car etc.

I use to own a full ampeg rig but thats too heavy and big so i down size it to a GK 700RB ii 2x10 bass combo and a SWR workingmans 1x15 cab but i mainly use the combo more for gigs but i no where use the full power of the combo as i often been told to turn down. The sound on the GK is good but is too bloody heavy to carry that on my own etc.

Thinking about 1 cab and 1 head for my rig and i can always DI my bass or mic the cab for bigger venue. Something that can keep the volume on stage as monitor.

Any recommendation?

Barefaced Midget and Compact/GB Streamliner here. Care for nothing else.

The Midget has coped with every situation (even if in my doubting way I've taken the Compact along too on a couple of occasions, unplugged it for a song or two for little difference in sound with just the Midget) just needs an amp with enough clean power to get the best out of it. Get the 'T' version.

It doesn't give that foundation rumbling depth which can be so satisfying from huge speakers but I've found this also muddies up the overall sound and so get's taken out on the equaliser anyway.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1336142318' post='1641586']
....Failing that, a Barefaced Compact and a 500 watt amp such as the Markbass LM3....
[/quote]

If you want the GK sound then the Compact and MB500 amp. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier!!

You don't need a trolley for that combo, it has one built in! I was gonna get one before I got the Markbass combo (one big selling point for me is that it weighs 44 lbs).

If you're getting shot of your combo then I'd have a look at the Barefaced cabs & choose one of the many excellent light amps (any of those mentioned above are good starting points). Or if you're keeping with the combo idea, then have a look at the Markbass offerings. I carry my combo in one hand, pedal board in the other & the bass slung over my shoulder.

Yes, if you like GK sound, either the MB500 or the MB Fusion 500, both cracking amps. Each are half the size and weight of a regular laptop.

Depending on size & weight of the one cab, and how many speakers you want in it, there are a good few options, Barefaced, Schroeder, or GKs own MB or Neo range all worth a look. My Schroeder 410 (this is my second Schro, great cabs, thoroughly recommend them) is 51 lbs in weight, and with my GK Fusion 500, is more than I need for pub gigs - and if I play larger stages, it`s easy enough for on-stage monitoring, and DI to FOH. Put a set of castors on the cab, and it`s so easy to get about.

Another recommendation for the GK gear. I used to own a 700RB-II into two 210RBHs (basically the same as your combo, but seperates instead of a combot) before upgrading to my big rig (2001RB-II and 2x410RBH, basically the same, but more) and I haven't once regretted getting my MB Fusion and NEO212 cabs. They still have that GK sound and they weigh very little.

For budget i will defo have to sell my whole rig or trade for the new rig.

I play in a 3 piece band mainly and we play New Wave rock. Volume wise i would say we not playing very loud, when i use my GK combo i never have to turn pass 9 o'clock on both input and output (maybe i use active bass). We mainly do gigs for events and occasionally as support band where the bass will go through the house PA and the amp will be use as stage monitor.

I use to own a Little Mark 250 which i kinda regret selling. Looking into either a Markbass, Orange and the small GK amp mention above. Cab wise something i can carry with 2 hand will do lol. The GK combo is almost impossible to carry in 2 hand and walk (i'm skinny and not muscle guy).

Best advice is to get yourself to a decent music shop that has a few decent bits of gear & try some out. :D

A lot of the light 1x15 & 2x10 cabs can be carried with one hand very easily, meaning you can stick the head in the pocket on your bass bag (if you have one).

thats the plan, going to a music shop next week since i'm off work for the whole week. PMT in manchester have ampeg, ashdown and orange stuff to try. The Ampeg portflex is very interesting and seems like something i'm after, specially that 1x15 for doing New Wave stuff :)