Why become a member? ×

Pedal Board-sized Multi-FX

D.I. Joe

Hi Guys

I'm wondering if there is a multi-fx unit out there with good synth/chorus/envelope filter/delay/octave type features (not worried about distortion/wah) which would fit onto a pedal board.

Suggestions below please :)

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1336129241' post='1641274']
Line 6 m13?

Not played one but seems to be a favorite choice?

Andy
[/quote]

Unfortunately the Filter stuff probably isn't up for it, no clean blend on the parameters or something like that I think? Point is, the distortions and filters weren't so well received. For the delays, modulations, delays and reverbs the M9/13 is a solid choice (that's what I got my M9 for!).

For a coverall solution, the Zoom B3 seems like a good choice, and it's pretty small and cheap. The GT-10B is a great solution, bit bigger and more expensive but much more powerful.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, the M9 looks quite interesting. Do you know whether anybody makes a Multi-FX which doesn't feature amp modelling and distortions? I'm only considering a multi-fx to cover filter/synth/compression/chorus/modulation etc etc

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1336409685' post='1645224']
Thanks for the suggestions guys, the M9 looks quite interesting. Do you know whether anybody makes a Multi-FX which doesn't feature amp modelling and distortions? I'm only considering a multi-fx to cover filter/synth/compression/chorus/modulation etc etc
[/quote]

The M series doesn't feature amp modelling and is designed to be used into a real amp, whereas the Pod stuff has the modellers. I think the M9 is probably the closest thing to what you are looking for. Although it does have distortion effects, there's enough other stuff going on that you can ignore the stuff you don't need and just program patches of what works in your setup.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1336652982' post='1648924']
I've just invested in a TC Electronic Nova System. I am really impressed!
[/quote]

I saw one pop up super cheap on ebay the other day, was that you? What's it like with bass? What are you using it together with? Sorry for all the questions...

Ha ha! Yes, it could well have been me actually! It popped up and I grabbed it rather quickly. It's an absolutely 'as new' unit! Nice!

I've been using TC effects for a lot of years actually. I've owned the G-Force, G Major 2, Triple-C and C300 as well as the Nova Dynamics compressor I have. The Nova System is no different in the quality of effects as I believe all the same algorithms go in to the processing as well as the choice of processor itself. The delays, choruses and other time based effects are what TC are well known for and are pristine. Pitch shifting and tuning effects are great, though the octaver isn't as far reaching in to the lower octaves as some pedals, such as the EBS Octave - or the octaver on the GT10B which is pretty good too. In use for bass, there are two inputs on the unit. The board includes a really good 'all analogue' over drive and distortion section that I think could be useful, but I have spent less time with that as I use an Ampeg Billy Sheehan preamp to provide my distortions at the moment. Thus, at the first gig I took it out to, I plugged in to the 'line input' on the back that bypasses the analogue section altogether. It was great for bass and noticed no loss in low end at all.

Current signal chain is: Shuker 6 & 7 string basses > Ampeg BSP preamp > Hartke Kilo head Pre> TC Nova System in stereo loop > Hartke Kilo 2x500W > 2x Hartke 4.5XL cabs.
Potentially enough noise to level a small village and gorgeous stereo effects right behind me ;o)