Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Lowdown Ld400pro combo info

Lord Sausage

I owned one of the head versions of this ...... and sold it pretty quickly. They are beginners amps really IMO.

The models are all rather synthetic, and fail to cut through with a band. There's enough volume for a 400W, but to get it, you will have to use the onboard compressor quite a lot, which will give you a high noise floor (unacceptably high for me). Also, it fails to do a clean tone loudly at all. To get volume you have to hike the gain on every model and that generates overdrive with all of them.
Admittedly, they are cheap as chips at the moment ... but there are reasons for that. Definately try before you buy.

Agree with Lozz about Markbass gear, although it just isn't "my" sound to be honest.

Don't be afraid of heads and cabs though. Easier to lug around in two pieces than a combo.
There are a good selection of used 500W heads that come up frequently. GK 700RB, MB500, or Ashdown ABM500's for example. You could pick up one of those and still get a pretty good quality used 4 ohm 4x10 with your £500.

If you are dead set to buy new then the GK MB210 or the Ashdown touring 550 or the TC Electronic BG500 all would be worth looking at. If you can afford it, I'd advise at getting at least a 500W rig if you can. Some venues just seem to "eat" up those watts. You can never have too much.

Looking for a combo myself. Would have this if I could have stretched to it [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ampeg_ba600210.htm?sid=a7774e7d4aed96c59eb28e5342b35a8c"]http://www.thomann.d...eb28e5342b35a8c[/url]

Edited by soopercrip

I've used the 300 watt Line6 combo and even though most of the settings were a waste of time it was plenty loud enough with a decent speaker fitted and I could get a decent sound out of it without too much twiddling. But if something is being discounted as much as those Line6 400 watt combos are it's probably for a good reason so I would stay well clear if I were you.

I second the idea of buying 2nd hand as you get much more bang for your buck.

Edited by gjones