Why become a member? ×

stain for headstock

Kev

iv just done a very poor job, tried to sand off the horrible 'westfield' logo off my jazz copy, and is consequently left with a very obvious lighter area, and you can still make out the outline of westfield

im guessing a light stain would sort this?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='177977' date='Apr 16 2008, 03:55 PM']iv just done a very poor job, tried to sand off the horrible 'westfield' logo off my jazz copy, and is consequently left with a very obvious lighter area, and you can still make out the outline of westfield

im guessing a light stain would sort this?[/quote]

Colour matching is always tricky. I'd sand the entire face of the headstock and refinish the lot if you want it to look good.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='178004' date='Apr 16 2008, 04:25 PM']ye im up for that

any recommended stains??[/quote]

It's probably lacquer you'll need. Which type (gloss/satin) depends on the finish of the rest of the neck - if you want it to match. Even applying clear lacquer will impart a little yellow glow to bare wood (maple in this case, I presume). I'd guess that's all the colouring you'll need, can't see a budget manufacturer going to the trouble of staining wood or using particular specially coloured lacquers when finishing necks.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='178120' date='Apr 16 2008, 05:56 PM']tbf if i do need to sand the whole headstock, il probably just do the front n sides and leave the back, so that i dont have to worry bout matchin it perfectly[/quote]

If you're gonna sand the headstock and refinish it, you may as well do the back of the neck too IMO to make it more professional looking.

Just remember to apply 3 or 4 layers of lacquer evenly with a light steel wool application between coats and you should end up with a nice finish.

I have recently stripped my RBX and stained it. The neck was laquered and the headstock had green varnish over a thin veneer. I stripped the varnish and sanded the veneer off to find a nice grain in the maple underneath. I didn't use any stain or dye, I sanded all the varnish off the neck and sealed it with a bee's wax based polish (bri-wax in a tin not a spray).

If you want to use a wax polish you can do the following. I started off with some 80 sand paper then 120, 240, 400,6 or 800 and finally some fine wire wool. Then applied wax polish with wire wool and buffed up with a soft cloth. After wich you can apply more wax, buffing after each application to get a nice build up. A few points, If you put a transfer/decal on, put it on before waxing otherwise it won't stick. Also when applying wax on the transfer use a cloth not wire wood and don't rub too hard or you will fetch it strait off. Be careful using wire wool near pick up's, it would be a good idea to take the neck off to work on it.

In my opinion wax is better than varnish. It makes the neck nice and slick, unlike varnish that can drag a bit if your hands get sweaty during a gig. I've tried varnish and just got runs everywhere cos I'm crap with a brush or spary can.

I hope you manage to sort the headstock out either way.