Why become a member? ×

Dubstep and Dubstep Accessories

lxxwj

After a recent influx of money from selling things, I finally have some to spend on effects. I'm intending to go into dubstep, particularly. Now, I want to know exactly [i]what[/i] effects I should be getting. Here's what I've figured out so far:

Envelope Filter (I'm going to use the Source Audio BEF Pro w/ Hot Hand)

Compressor (This will allow me to use the BEF Pro more effectively; to manipulate the filter I must use
my playing hand, so I'll have to play with hammer-ons. The compressor will bring those up to the same level
as my normal playing, and not make my normal playing incredibly loud. However, I have no idea what exact pedal
to use for this.. any suggestions? I'm thinking about using the Boss CS-2)

Octave (Boss OC-2, for sub-bass)

Distortion (Probably the WMD Geiger Counter, but I don't know for sure)

So two things:
1. Would that work well?
2. Can someone recommend a compressor and a distortion for what I want?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by lxxwj

All your suggestions look and sound great. Geiger Counter is massively versatile for the music you re looking at, but a good gated fuzz will get you a large array of the tones also (Mammoth, Mastotron, Brown Dog etc...).

Have you played with the BEF & Hot hand much already? It's VERY different to using an expression with a Low Pass Filter like the IE Xero or the Moog LPF. If you haven't experienced it yet I'd suggest trying to try both options before investing. Neither are better for this genre of music - just very different.

I would suggest looking at the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/141357-live-dubstep/page__hl__dubstep"]'Live Dubstep'[/url] & The [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/72012-drum-n-bassdubstep/page__hl__dubstep"]'Drum N Bass/Dubstep'[/url] threads as many of your questions will likely already of been answered.

As for compressor... while most will do the trick, I find a multi-band is quite important for this kind of music so it can keep those resonant high peaks in check without reducing the volume of the sub bass etc... I use a TC Nova Dynamics but have also used the EBS Multicomp to great effect.

Do you really need a compressor? I've not used a Hot Hand with my bef, but can't really see how it would benefit as it tracks really well. I use a joyo dynamic compressor at the start of my signal chain (very cheap on ebay) purely to improve the tracking of my behringer bsy600 synth pedal. Without wanting to sound rude though, if you need it to even out your hammer ons etc then just do some more practice and save the cash! You may not need to use hammer ons either, slides should work fine. Check out some of Nathan Navarro's stuff and also read through the threads that the mighty Shep has posted above. I'm told that the Source Audio multiwave bass distortion goes very well with the BEF.......

Happy Wubbing!

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1335536267' post='1632829']
After a recent influx of money from selling things, I finally have some to spend on effects. I'm intending to go into dubstep, particularly. Now, I want to know exactly [i]what[/i] effects I should be getting. Here's what I've figured out so far:

Envelope Filter (I'm going to use the Source Audio BEF Pro w/ Hot Hand)

Compressor (This will allow me to use the BEF Pro more effectively; to manipulate the filter I must use
my playing hand, so I'll have to play with hammer-ons. The compressor will bring those up to the same level
as my normal playing, and not make my normal playing incredibly loud. However, I have no idea what exact pedal
to use for this.. any suggestions? I'm thinking about using the Boss CS-2)

Octave (Boss OC-2, for sub-bass)

Distortion (Probably the WMD Geiger Counter, but I don't know for sure)

So two things:
1. Would that work well?
2. Can someone recommend a compressor and a distortion for what I want?

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

BEF is ace. It's not as easy as it looks! It takes a fair amount of practice to get the wobbles well.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1335538197' post='1632867']
All your suggestions look and sound great. Geiger Counter is massively versatile for the music you re looking at, but a good gated fuzz will get you a large array of the tones also (Mammoth, Mastotron, Brown Dog etc...).

Have you played with the BEF & Hot hand much already? It's VERY different to using an expression with a Low Pass Filter like the IE Xero or the Moog LPF. If you haven't experienced it yet I'd suggest trying to try both options before investing. Neither are better for this genre of music - just very different.

I would suggest looking at the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/141357-live-dubstep/page__hl__dubstep"]'Live Dubstep'[/url] & The [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/72012-drum-n-bassdubstep/page__hl__dubstep"]'Drum N Bass/Dubstep'[/url] threads as many of your questions will likely already of been answered.

As for compressor... while most will do the trick, I find a multi-band is quite important for this kind of music so it can keep those resonant high peaks in check without reducing the volume of the sub bass etc... I use a TC Nova Dynamics but have also used the EBS Multicomp to great effect.

+1 - get a xenograph and exp pedal for even more fun.
[/quote]
[quote name='Tom Brookes' timestamp='1335544222' post='1632997']
Do you really need a compressor? I've not used a Hot Hand with my bef, but can't really see how it would benefit as it tracks really well. I use a joyo dynamic compressor at the start of my signal chain (very cheap on ebay) purely to improve the tracking of my behringer bsy600 synth pedal. Without wanting to sound rude though, if you need it to even out your hammer ons etc then just do some more practice and save the cash! You may not need to use hammer ons either, slides should work fine. Check out some of Nathan Navarro's stuff and also read through the threads that the mighty Shep has posted above. I'm told that the Source Audio multiwave bass distortion goes very well with the BEF.......

Happy Wubbing!
[/quote]

Was going to suggest the joyo. Seems highly thought of.
I use the oxide and SA MWD. Sounds brilliant! And works great for FOXDIE dubstep moments!

[quote name='Tom Brookes' timestamp='1335544222' post='1632997']

Happy Wubbing!
[/quote]

I may be wrong but I don't think the compressor is with tracking in mind.

If you use lots of resonance on your filters those high frequencies can get seriously eat splitting. A compressor after them allows you to maintain a maximum volume level so as not to raise the roof and make ears bleed. I have a multi and compressor that is always on a low setting. For the majority of the set the meter never lights up as my volume if not hitting the threshold I have set. I play loud and don't want to get louder still.

When I push the resonance up on the low pass filter I see the compressor start to light the -2db point Si I know it's taking just a tiny bit off the top to 'cap' my volume. If input an envelope filter on before the LPF the combined resonance is enough to make my compressor settings pull the signal down as much as 6 or 8db. If I turn the compressor off that combination of effects is ugly loud!

Think of it more as a limiter. Not 'needed' but very useful when you are stacking effects!

You can also link the MWBD Pro to the BEF Pro & control both with the Hot Hand.

A good place for a bleather all about Wubbling is [url="http://www.facebook.com/groups/265330523479274/"]Organic Bass Wobble[/url]. If you haven't already joined that is.

[quote name='Tom Brookes' timestamp='1335545453' post='1633022']
Good point.....I never think of compressors in that way when playing live (I used to use them as 'limiters' when I ran a recording studio though)

Did you like the fact that I refered to you as 'the mighty Shep'?
[/quote]

It's about the only way I use a compressor these days!

I feel honoured... Though not sure I'm all that 'mighty' :)

At school right now, can't really have a good discussion until I get home. :unsure:
I think I'll go ahead and buy a BEF Pro, play around with it, and see how it works out.
..I wish there was a compressor with one knob for the base volume and one for the limiting volume.. <_<