Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror Bass vs. Ashdown AMB500 evo 3

jay

Hello

There is an old thread dedicated to just this, but it hasn't been touched in over a year!
I currently own an OTB and I think its great, but i'm teetering on the edge of changing it for an Ashdown AMB500 evo 3. Mainly because I like the idea of the extra flexibility with the sub harmonics and foot switch, i'll still use it with my Orange 410. I have a few worries before I make the swap so any advice would be great!

Firstly, I used an Ashdown combo a 2 or 3 years ago at a gig and it blew up! Luckily not my fault, but I didn't feel like it was getting driven too hard. Is there a reliablilty issue?

Second, is there a volume issue? I doubt this would be a problem, but i've heard a bit about it.

Lastly, is there any point? Are they similar enough that i'm just changing for the sake of it?

If you've played both, which do you prefer?

Another idea is to just buy a pedal for the sub harmonics stuff. A DOD Meatbox or an octave would do the job - Ashdown make an octave pedal too, I wouldn't be surprised if it shared the same circuit.

Ashdown blue would clash terribly with an Orange cab anyway. Just ask Gok Wan. You should buy my AD200B instead! ;)

I owned an evo II, didn't really get on with it that well but there we go, a lot of people love them. Honestly though, why move on if you're happy? To this day I regret moving on my mesa big block.

As for Ashdown, you might bring out a certain level of abject hate for them in this thread, so don't be surprised by it... many feel they're "wooly". I'm very meh towards them, also some attribute the wooliness to the Ashdown cabs so it might sound great through your orange cab. Try before you buy I guess!

Having owned (and trying to sell ) an EVO 2 combo,I think they are very versatile amps,the sub and valve drive are awesome. As for volume I ran it with a 2x10 cab (combo was is 1x15) and I was fine, mostly at 300+ venues and it performed really well. I did find the input/output knobs a tad annoying....have ended up going for a lh1000 now,super simple and as loud as I will ever need.
Never used an Orange so can't compare though
Si

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1335283696' post='1628623']

Ashdown blue would clash terribly with an Orange cab anyway. Just ask Gok Wan. You should buy my AD200B instead! ;)
[/quote]

Haha yes it would, not to mention my green and pink flares I wear on stage ;) . Trust me, if I thought there was any way I could afford that, i'd have it off you in a heartbeat!

Can't comment on the Evo III, but I've been changing back and forth between a first series ABM and an OTB for a while. The OTB sounds very similar set flat to how I have the ABM set up so that's a win for me. If you need more flexibility from the OTB I'd add graphic eq and octave pedals. I do still love my ABM, but the Orange is punchier and much MUCH louder (although whether you'll use the extra or not only you can say). I had contemplated selling my OTB to get something even smaller... but I don't think I can bring myself to do it!

I'm not an Ashdown-hater as such, but just to be absolutely transparent from the off, having owned one myself and borrowed a couple of others I really don't like the ABM500 at all. Trying to be as fair as possible, however, I'd keep the OTB if you need the ability to be heard in a loud band with any kind of battle for the low frequencies going on (down-tuned rock/metal etc.), and only head towards the ABM if everything you do is at a somewhat more sedate level where the extra variation in the preamp won't suffer from being completely drowned out before anybody gets to hear it. I don't think Ashdowns are 'wooly' in particular, but tonal refinement is only any good if you have the grunt in the power section to throw it at the audience, and in my experience this is exactly what's lacking.

Edited by Ed_S

The ABM is certainly much more flexible tonally than the OBT. You'll certainly get an uber bassy, scooped sound or a mid-heavy vintage sound, or anything inbetween if you set it up right. And I'll say from the outset that I'm a big fan of the ABM.

Personally (owning the EVO III), I think the sub harmonics thing is just a gimic. I would never consider using it in the real world.

As for the volume issue, it's certainly an amp that can appear to have volume issues if you don't use it as Ashdown intend.
I was playing guitar in a band a few years back and the bassist had an ABM500, EVO II I think. He always had problems with volume, but didn't actually understand how the amp worked. So, in hindsight, I now see that he was the problem, not the amp.
There are a number of ways in which you can knock your volume with the ABM. Firstly, you have to set the input gain appropriately to get a decent signal into the amp. I believe a lot of folks are much too conservative when setting this. Next, how you set the EQ can have a MASSIVE effect on volume. I would definately recommend adding frequencies to taste, rather than reducing them. Next, the onboard comprpessor --- simples ... don't use it. It's [email="cr@p"]cr@p[/email] and kills a lot of volume.
My EVO III, when set up properly, is at least as loud as the little Mark III and GK 700RB II that I have owned.
Through a reasonably sensitive 4 ohm 4x10 having the master on noon is pretty deafening.

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1335421358' post='1630679']
The ABM is certainly much more flexible tonally than the OBT. You'll certainly get an uber bassy, scooped sound or a mid-heavy vintage sound, or anything inbetween if you set it up right. And I'll say from the outset that I'm a big fan of the ABM.

Personally (owning the EVO III), I think the sub harmonics thing is just a gimic. I would never consider using it in the real world.

As for the volume issue, it's certainly an amp that can appear to have volume issues if you don't use it as Ashdown intend.
I was playing guitar in a band a few years back and the bassist had an ABM500, EVO II I think. He always had problems with volume, but didn't actually understand how the amp worked. So, in hindsight, I now see that he was the problem, not the amp.
There are a number of ways in which you can knock your volume with the ABM. Firstly, you have to set the input gain appropriately to get a decent signal into the amp. I believe a lot of folks are much too conservative when setting this. Next, how you set the EQ can have a MASSIVE effect on volume. I would definately recommend adding frequencies to taste, rather than reducing them. Next, the onboard comprpessor --- simples ... don't use it. It's [email="cr@p"]cr@p[/email] and kills a lot of volume.
My EVO III, when set up properly, is at least as loud as the little Mark III and GK 700RB II that I have owned.
Through a reasonably sensitive 4 ohm 4x10 having the master on noon is pretty deafening.
[/quote]

I'm sure I've written a response like this before (maybe even to your good self!) regarding the ABMs, so please take this in the jocular spirit intended... but really, the sub harmonics are a gimmick that you'd never consider using, the compression is cr@p, the gain structure is deceptive and the EQ works best the wrong way round... and that makes it a great amp? :P

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1335425495' post='1630718']
I'm sure I've written a response like this before (maybe even to your good self!) regarding the ABMs, so please take this in the jocular spirit intended... but really, the sub harmonics are a gimmick that you'd never consider using, the compression is cr@p, the gain structure is deceptive and the EQ works best the wrong way round... and that makes it a great amp? :P
[/quote]

No, the compressor, sub-harmonics generator and gain structure are not the things which make it a great amp. It's still my favourite amp though !

• 4 weeks later...

This is indeed an interesting debate. I've been comparing my OTB and ABM over the past few months - and it's made me really experiment with the ABM much more than I have done before.

What I can say is that the OTB is such a good, simple, solution. I wouldn't say it is tonally lacking - however, it is EQ challenged. I can get a scooped sound, a mid sound or a bright sound, but there's not a lot of variation between these really. It is of course well known for it's volume levels - and through my single BF Compact it really does show this off. A 500W amp weighing 5kg into an 8 Ohm cab weighing 12kg, that can handle it? Yes please.

However the ABM has so much more - including weight lol.

I have never once struggled with volume through the ABM. With the input gain set properly, and a bit of EQ where you need it, and my ABM is definitely more than enough for anything I'm going to need on stage, anywhere. Anything more will be DI, thank you very much. Oh yes, the ABM DI is far superior to that of the OTB.

I'm probably the only human being that doesn't find the ABM compressor to be rubbish. I've considered it to be lacking in the past, but some recent messing about has resulted in me using it all the time now: and with it set correctly, I don't get a drop in volume, nor does it mess up my tone.

I'm still mulling over these two. They are quite polar opposites in their design and execution. Simplicity vs complexity, weight, and versatility. On paper, I'd say the OTB wins the day. But practical use of both says that the ABM is far superior for my needs.

IMHO, YMMV and erm any other FLA....

Cheers

Geoff