Why become a member? ×

Separate pre and power amps

Bobzilla

I am selling my trace amp, but think I might be sticking with separates. However, I'm never going to be able to justify spending what I want to get the sound I want. So, thinking of using a behringer v-amp pro as a pre amp and having a separate power amp. Any restrictions on what sort of power amp I should be using, other than the usual power/ impedance questions? I'm trying to keep things as cheap as possible. I don't really need that much power.

I think you should use a Peavey IPR1600. It only weighs 7 pounds and it is great.

But then I would say that

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/162288-aguilar-db659-sold-peavey-ipr1600-skb-3u-x-rack-sold-l150/page__p__1595968__hl__peavey%20ipr__fromsearch__1#entry1595968

:)

Typically, this would be an expensive way to go about things but maybe the behringer may negate that..but IMO with that kit, it is average at the very best.
Personally, I'd stay well away from it producing a signal as none of the kit we have come across... like in house P.A's have been much good.

One or two bands we know use the desks and it isn't the most robust kit either..and they may have been unlucky, but I regard it as cheap [s]tat [/s] kit..for a reason
Just my 2p....sorry.

I love my V-amp Pro, it's a cracking piece of kit for the money, or even twice the price. I don't know if I should mention it on here but... There's a huge thread on TalkBass about the Bass V-amp Pro. It seems quite popular to team it up with Crown power amps, but I know nothing about them, mine is on my Peavey T-Max effects loop (I bought the V-Amp just as a cheap way to experiment with effects but it has proven useful in many different ways, especially if you use the midi software).

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/behringer-bass-v-amp-pro-part-ii-get-back-jack-do-again-791182/

That's actually the second thread, there was a previous one that got too big and they had to start again. There's a lot of good advice in there.

I didn't mind the Bass V-amp Pro for what it was, but it was always a poor relation to my Bass Pod XT, which in turn became a close second to my Pod X3 Pro. And I still wouldn't gig the X3 Pro over and above either of my 'real' preamps (Sansamp RBI / BBE Bmax). I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not exactly a naysayer (even though mine just stopped working) but certainly not a fan, and I'd advise you to at least spend the extra 60 quid on a second hand Bass Pod XT Pro from the 'bay.

To answer your question directly, however, maybe a Behringer EPQ450 (£150ish new, but bear in mind that the same could get you owen's IPR1600) or maybe a W-Audio Horizon 300 (£120ish new, but I picked up an as-new Horizon 600 for about £90 from that most auspicious of auction sites not long ago, so the bargains are out there to be had). There are even cheaper examples if you really don't need a lot of power; the KAM range that the lad from Gear4DJs is doing special BC offers on goes right down to the £89ish mark, but there's a whole load of getting what you pay for to be considered, and I'd really urge you to do so.

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1334992406' post='1624388']
I didn't mind the Bass V-amp Pro for what it was, but it was always a poor relation to my Bass Pod XT, which in turn became a close second to my Pod X3 Pro. And I still wouldn't gig the X3 Pro over and above either of my 'real' preamps (Sansamp RBI / BBE Bmax). I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not exactly a naysayer (even though mine just stopped working) but certainly not a fan, and I'd advise you to at least spend the extra 60 quid on a second hand Bass Pod XT Pro from the 'bay.

To answer your question directly, however, maybe a Behringer EPQ450 (£150ish new, but bear in mind that the same could get you owen's IPR1600) or maybe a W-Audio Horizon 300 (£120ish new, but I picked up an as-new Horizon 600 for about £90 from that most auspicious of auction sites not long ago, so the bargains are out there to be had). There are even cheaper examples if you really don't need a lot of power; the KAM range that the lad from Gear4DJs is doing special BC offers on goes right down to the £89ish mark, but there's a whole load of getting what you pay for to be considered, and I'd really urge you to do so.
[/quote]

+1, I run separate power/pre and there are always bargains to be had here and on ebay, largely because the general trend these days is towards small, light and convenient (separates tend to be larger, heavier and therefore less convenient of course). +1 also to JT's comment above