Why become a member? ×

A fuzz that combines well with octave for a nice synthy sound?

1976fenderhead

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1335441912' post='1631128']
That's odd, don't 99% of people run the octaver into the fuzz?
[/quote]

Yep, octave box (BOD in my case) into fuzz box (El Grande); that's definitely the way I do it as well. The M82 is the Bass Envelope Filter so no issues with running a fuzz into it. :)

[quote name='johnDeereJack' timestamp='1335509968' post='1632260']
Yep, octave box (BOD in my case) into fuzz box (El Grande); that's definitely the way I do it as well. The M82 is the Bass Envelope Filter so no issues with running a fuzz into it. :)
[/quote]

Ditto, Fuzz tends to scoop the mids out, which could make it more difficult for the octave to track the notes properly.
That's not the reason I run mine the way I do - I just prefer the sound of Octave then Fuzz.

I use my MI Audio Pollyanna to get a synthy distorted sound.

Sounds like a broken Nintendo, really 8-bitty when you want it to, bit glitchy at times but can be calmed by a compressor in front.

I did used to play my bass through a Nintendo using a midiNES cartridge and a pitch to midi converter, but I just use this now, and am gonna flog the midiNES cart soon.

The Pollyanna gives me all the synthy dirt I need for the mo :)

[quote name='johnDeereJack' timestamp='1335509968' post='1632260']
[/quote]

Right, sorry, thought M82 was the code for the BOD... :-/

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1335518749' post='1632403']
I use my MI Audio Pollyanna to get a synthy distorted sound.
[/quote]

Woah, just saw a guitar video on youtube, that pedal sounds amazing... Do you use octave up as well? Would you be able to do any samples with bass? Would really be curious to hear it...

What about this?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTEjyOlZyz8&feature=related[/media]
Sounds pretty interesting too, but not sure how that Muff goes with bass and the lack of tone controls on the POG has always put me off...

[quote name='theotherphiljones' timestamp='1335219675' post='1627641']
Red Ripper and BOD works for me
[/quote]

Missed this post before. Red Ripper sounds very interesting too, I'd say even probably the best option so far due to the apparent filter thingy it adds, but it's a bit too pricey and they don't come second hand often do they? :( I am enjoying the Torch button in the Blowtorch though, I already got a sound I like for normal distortion and another for the synthy sound keeping the same settings, simply using that button, which may allow me to actually get rid of my distortion as I'm liking having them with the same character... The Ripper doesn't have that but does have a kind of filter thing in there though... I guess if I get bored of the Blowtorch I'll go for that next...

Edited by 1976fenderhead

I tried a POG yesterday in Guitar Guitar before I finally settled on reinvesting in the MXR BOD.
I kinda liked the octave up feature of the POG - a bit of a novelty tho cos I'm not sure I'd ever use it and the POG just doesn't have the same warmth that the MXR does.
I love the fact you can get pretty close to the old Boss OC2 with the BOD.
Needless to say I walked out of the shop with a brand spanking new BOD! (Almost took the Carbon Copy too!) :D

[quote name='johnDeereJack' timestamp='1335546698' post='1633046']
I tried a POG yesterday in Guitar Guitar before I finally settled on reinvesting in the MXR BOD.
I kinda liked the octave up feature of the POG - a bit of a novelty tho cos I'm not sure I'd ever use it and the POG just doesn't have the same warmth that the MXR does.
I love the fact you can get pretty close to the old Boss OC2 with the BOD.
Needless to say I walked out of the shop with a brand spanking new BOD! (Almost took the Carbon Copy too!) :D
[/quote]

Although I'd rather get the Octamizer, I'd only want to get it second hand as it's a bit expensive, and they don't come often like that so I bought a BOD while I wait ;)
I think I'm ending up with a very nerdy MXR fanboy board (adding the Blowtorch and the BOD to the Bass Compressor and M80 DI I already have)..

Well, following the strange phasing issue I got with the Blowtorch (detailed in another post), I'll be moving on to my next bet which is the Mastotron, hoping I won't get the same problem...

EDIT: Might actually see how I do with the El Grande first since it costs about half the price of the Mastotron, then if not happy will take the plunge and go for the Mastotron)...

Edited by 1976fenderhead

Only needed to play 5-10 minutes with the El Grande to know it's probably the worst fuzz I ever used. AWFUL! Won't have an MXR fanboy board after all. The pedal just sounded very erratic with my main (active) bass, not so bad with the passive one... like volume and fuzziness would vary widely in adjacent frets. There definitely seems to be some strange frequency cancelling issue between my bass and MXR distortions!

So 2 MXR pedals returned in a week, GAK must be loving me now :P
Now what hmmm... Mastotron is sounding too harsh for me, Oxide too much trouble to get, would like to give the Red Ripper a go but it's more money than I'd like to spend... :mellow:

EDIT: the BOD I got is going back too! Massive low frequency crackling noise when using it with distortion! Wow MXR have really disappointed me! The result is I think I'll have to stick with the Microsynth because I don't see a decent alternative for a decent price unless if waiting to try to grab an Octamizer and a decent fuzz second hand. My hurry is definitely gone though! :unsure:

Edited by 1976fenderhead

I never really liked the "Bass Octave" model in the M9(Same effects as the M5), what I use instead is the "Pitch Glide" model, without an expression pedal, set the pitch to -12.0 and the mix to around 50%, you don't get a lot of tone control over it but the tracking is brilliant, will take 2/3 notes and goes looooooow.

[quote name='Thatguy59' timestamp='1335971950' post='1638848']
I never really liked the "Bass Octave" model in the M9(Same effects as the M5), what I use instead is the "Pitch Glide" model, without an expression pedal, set the pitch to -12.0 and the mix to around 50%, you don't get a lot of tone control over it but the tracking is brilliant, will take 2/3 notes and goes looooooow.
[/quote]

Funny you say that, I found the same when I bought it, but recently started using the Bass Octave model so I could change the tone and see how it affected the fuzz after it. But I agree with you, definitely better for some reason...