Why become a member? ×

112 cab choices... EBS or Glockenklang?

heminder

as i intend to play with a drummer occasionally, i've decided to build a mid-powered rig which i'm currently saving up for. i'm also considering the EBS Neo 112 or the Glockenklang Space Deluxe (112). i'll probably couple it with a Reidmar, and get a second cab in the future if i ever need more volume.

i see some very positive comments for the EBS Neo 112 but some others say that it lacks depth, and farts out early. what's the deal with this cab? nowhere near me stock it so i can't try it out myself.

i got turned on to the Glockenklang from [url="http://bowlusblog.blogspot.co.uk/2006/05/1x12-shootout.html"]this[/url] little shootout, but can't find much info on them anywhere else on the net and only Thomann sells it afaik. does anyone have experience with this cab?

Edited by heminder

No..But I've used a couple of Glocks rigs in general and the kit is normally very good.
Not that fussed about the cabs aesthetically myself as they are typically very chunky but
they worked with the amp well.

I would not think it is a fair comparison if you are talking about the EBS Classic NEO up
against the Glock cab but then you may be able to get almost 2 Classics for the price of one of those other cabs in the test
and that will be a different solution

2 cabs of this sort paired should always be way better than one IME.

I'd also have a listen to the Aguilar SL112 and DB112 cabs, the Bergantino HD112 and the Barefaced equivalents.

I'd also plan to use 1 cab without the drummer and 2 cabs with. IMO the Reidmar at 250 watts looks very underpowered.

Where should i start...

Reidmar - i had one for a short period but had to let it go because i needed a second cab (EBS Neo 112) it's no way near underpowered, it just keeps on pumping sound. Think 250 of Trace Elliot watts, it can get pretty close to that!

EBS Neo 112 - mine should be ariving any day now, i have the Neo 110 and it reproduces lots of low end and has lots of power handling. I never heard it fart out but i never put anything below 80Hz in my cabs, that freqs won't do anything noticeable and only produce sub-bass that will make any cab fart. If you're in to that kind of sound i would sugest getting a sub-woofer for that ;)

Glockenklang - the only rig i heard (not sure about the head and cab models anymore, cab had 15"+6"+T) played very well and loud but it didn't rocked my world, don't think they justify the price tag even though they really are top noch gear.

I'm also waiting for my Midget T to be build by Alex so once i get it i will be able to compare it with the EBS, if you're willing to wait a month i'll be able to make a short review of both cabs!

Cheers

Hi there,

Generally the Glock cabs are more efficient than the EBS. I have found EBS to have more of an inherent tonal character to their cabs, whereas the Glock cabs are always more transparent yet remaining fat and natural in their sound. Something I really like. For me, although both are great cabs, I would seriously consider making the investment on a Glockenklang or something like a Vanderkley. The only problem going to really neutral sounding cabs is that it can expose other elements of your gear that you don't like as it's so detailed! But in the long run this is a good thing I guess..! but if you're considering that price range/concept Vanderkley stuff is worth a look too. It's worth buying what you really like and then forgetting about it as it works out cheaper, so bare that in mind when you're listening to the gear.

I use my Reidmar with an EBS Neo 210 and it's plenty loud (for small gigs). Much louder than my old Mark Bass LMIII. Very deceptive and shockingly powerful for a 250w head. I have even used it through my Pro 410 cab with great results.

I love EBS cabs as they suit my tone requirements very well. My tone is very flat and I don't get that problem and I can really crank the cabs, but I have read feedback on the interweb from other players that play with a fuller tone struggling with break up in the lower frequencies. I have used the Reidmar through an Ampeg PN 210 and it definately had much more balls in the bottom end. I have also played the Reidmar through a Berg 112 at Bass Direct a few weeks ago and sounded awesome.

If you are planning to add a second cab to the Reidmar I would stay away from the EBS Neo cabs as they are 4ohm thus limiting you to one cab. The Classic cabs are 8ohms and have a rounder tone than the Pro and Neo models. I have read that the Classic 110+112 is a very tasty configuration and quite pokey. Plus, they are very good value for money! Both of those cabs (combined) cost less than my Neo 210!!

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1334662401' post='1619250']
I use my Reidmar with an EBS Neo 210 and it's plenty loud (for small gigs). Much louder than my old Mark Bass LMIII. Very deceptive and shockingly powerful for a 250w head. I have even used it through my Pro 410 cab with great results.

I love EBS cabs as they suit my tone requirements very well. My tone is very flat and I don't get that problem and I can really crank the cabs, but I have read feedback on the interweb from other players that play with a fuller tone struggling with break up in the lower frequencies. I have used the Reidmar through an Ampeg PN 210 and it definately had much more balls in the bottom end. I have also played the Reidmar through a Berg 112 at Bass Direct a few weeks ago and sounded awesome.

If you are planning to add a second cab to the Reidmar I would stay away from the EBS Neo cabs as they are 4ohm thus limiting you to one cab. The Classic cabs are 8ohms and have a rounder tone than the Pro and Neo models. I have read that the Classic 110+112 is a very tasty configuration and quite pokey. Plus, they are very good value for money! Both of those cabs (combined) cost less than my Neo 210!!
[/quote]

Sorry for the correction but both EBS Neoline 110 and 112 are 8 Ohm cabs!

wow thanks for so many replies. i'll have to look into all these other suggestions too. i'll be pondering on these for some time, and while i gather the funds.

with the EBS and Glockenklang cabs, i'm starting to wonder if Glock may have better design and construction that the EBS. though they're similarly priced the Glock uses a conventional speaker, whereas the EBS uses a neo magnet which will likely eat a good portion of the asking price of the cab. i don't think weight is the biggest issue with 112 cabs as they're fairly manageable anyway. on the other hand if a cab is light as a feather, it'd be pretty cool to be able to walk effortlessly to the drummer's place with bass on my back, amp in one hand, and cab in the other.

[quote name='fingerz' timestamp='1334659818' post='1619179']It's worth buying what you really like and then forgetting about it as it works out cheaper
[/quote]
yes that's what i'm going for. i've found through my guitar adventures that having semi-decent gear pays off in the long run, keeping the GAS away, and potentially better resale value. as a (currently) hobby bassist i intend for this setup to be a keeper.

• 2 months later...