Why become a member? ×

Don't bother trying to improve, just make more friends instead

Guest MoJo

When you're in a band you are providing a service. Sometimes it's to provide high quality music, sometimes it's part of a package to entertain people on a good night out.

Do the market research and provide the service that is required at the right price.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1334162201' post='1611876']
The best guitar solo I've ever heard is on Dead Milkmen's 'Punk Rock Girl'. Fans of Pink Floyd would probably go purple in rage at that. Excellence is a subjective quality.
[/quote]

+1, though as much as for referencing Dead Milkmen as for having a good point :)

[size=4]have to diagree with the general sentiment here.
If the only reason you get up and play..altho that is to be applauded on some level that they made out of the bedroom..
is because people tolerate the band, then that just isn't good enough.
You might be kidding yourselves but you are short changing everyone else.

If you can outdraw most bands around because you market extremely well, then that will get you favours with pubs and the like because that IS the game, but at least know that is the only thing that makes you viable.[/size]

[size=6][size=4]You know you have hit the buffers when someone calls out Sweet Home Alabama, and the band says they don't know how to play it..!!! [/size] :lol: :lol: :lol:[/size]

Edited by JTUK

Why does it have to be down to "marketing well", or some other kind of seemingly underhand perfidy, which is denying otherwise excellent and self-righteous bands the air time?

They could be complete sh*te. As long as their mates enjoy turning up; the rest of the crowd enjoy the spectacle; and the band are having a good time, it shouldn't matter. Anything else smacks of the green-eyed monster.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1334158843' post='1611808']
It seems very odd to criticise a band for being decidedly average even though they are clearly more popular [/quote]

I meant in terms of musicianship. They are very sloppy, in my honest opinion, not well rehearsed. And they are certainly more popular than my covers band because it no longer exists ..... couldn't get any gigs as we hadn't any friends to fill the venue for us :lol:

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1334227960' post='1612779']
Why does it have to be down to "marketing well", or some other kind of seemingly underhand perfidy, which is denying otherwise excellent and self-righteous bands the air time?

They could be complete sh*te. As long as their mates enjoy turning up; the rest of the crowd enjoy the spectacle; and the band are having a good time, it shouldn't matter. Anything else smacks of the green-eyed monster.
[/quote]

No, not from my POV, I find it funny and fascinating as well.
Quite happy to acknolwledge a band is a good draw....but as I said, also wonder how they get gigs.
Obviously, it doesn't matter to the people who go and see them but not sure it is that helpful if they also tell that band they are wonderful as when they step outside that little comfort zone, the
realisation may then dawn on them. The problem will be when for one particular band when they headline a festival with an act which will bury them.. which is scheduled to happen this year.
I can't for the life of me work out why they took that slot. but hey, there you go.

[quote name='bassman2790' timestamp='1334228411' post='1612792']
I meant in terms of musicianship. They are very sloppy, in my honest opinion, not well rehearsed. And they are certainly more popular than my covers band because it no longer exists ..... couldn't get any gigs as we hadn't any friends to fill the venue for us :lol:
[/quote]

I understood your point and, to be honest, it's a very fair one. But surely everyone realises that there are many, many extremely capable, talented musicians out there who will never 'make it' in the music business?

Being a good musician is a tiny part of being commercially successful.

But then people rip Cowell's type enterprises to shreds as populist pap...which they may well be, but that isn't a million miles away from a pub band doing the same thing.

I do recall a local singer being beaten down into 3rd place on the X-factor, IIRC... by a guy who had his whole city vote for him only never to be heard of since.
I expect both still to be able to make a living from the association still, but at least this local guy has not changed one little bit..nice guy, decent voice and same gigs for the most part.